Freeze Frequent Flyer and Hotel Loyalty status due to Coronavirus?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• WearyWeagie
    Participant

I live in the UK but cover the Asia Pacific region in my job. The travel I do means I am top tier FF with a number of airlines and also top or hight tier with hotel chains.
    Now this Coronavirus has meant our company have put travel restrictions to Asia Pacific with no knowing when they might be lifted. I find myself grounded in the UK making just the occasional trip to the US for internal meetings.
    How do I maintain my elite status?

I know most of these programs allow freezing of status for things like Maternity/Paternity leave or exceptional circumstances such as illness. Has anyone asked about the impact of the coronavirus on our ability to maintain status?

I’m going to give it a go!

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Good luck. You might need it….

gater1960
    Participant

The world is watching and concerned about this new virus which even though has less fatalities than influenza is still a global concern and you are concerned about your FF status. How pathetic are you? If it means that much to you why not spend your own money instead of your employers and get on a plane and fly to some vacation spot since you cannot currently fly for business. Your sense of entitlement speaks volumes

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Weary Weagie, this is a precised post I made on another thread I started titled “If only we were all treated like this.

I have been flying with CX for 31 years, the last 25 years at Diamond Level.
    Back in Sept last year whilst walking our dogs I slipped, overstretched my leg resulting in a torn quadricep muscle in my right knee
    Surgery and 5 weeks in plaster so no flying for 6/7 weeks and certainly no long haul flying because of the risk of DVT
    I wrote to CX two weeks ago
    Got a phone call from the Head of the Marco Polo Club, Jessica Meyers, saying she would like to talk to me
    So this morning she duly did. Could not renew at Diamond as the gap was to large
    However they would renew me at Gold,one level down from Diamond
    Jessica gave me 4 four upgrade vouchers valid for a year plus the next time I was in HKG I was to let her know and we would meet up.

A happy camper indeed

SimonS1
    Participant

To be honest @CathayLoyalist2 your circumstances are exceptional and totally different to making exceptions for the entire FF base of several airlines.

2 users thanked author for this post.

WearyWeagie
    Participant

Great story of customer service CathayLoyalist!

@SimonS1
    – you make a very valid point. This is an issue effective lots of customers and not an isolated special case. I was considering this from the BA angle where it would effect a smaller proportion of travellers but hadn’t considered what this means to the tens of thousands of FF members of airlines such as Cathay, China Airlines etc.
    Indeed we’ve already seen Cathay shut 3 lounges in London due to reduced use requirements. It would be interesting to see how the overall status level of their FF base are reduced this year as a result. Will the Emerald/first queues be much shorter next year as a result? Or will we see a mad rush of people doing points runs?

SimonS1
    Participant

Even on BA it could affect thousands – GGL, Gold, Silver etc.

stevescoots
    Participant

Whilst on the surface the OP may seem a bit insensative i can see the point behind it. However i do feel that companies who are grounding staff to the entire region are jumping the gun, particuarly those whose employees who travel to areas in Asia that are not heavily affected. Our company has stopped travel to mainland China on a mix of high risk basis and enforced quarantine upon return to thier home nations but also as most business are closed there is very little that can be achieved. However travel to other countries has not been suspended. I think the only chance of retaining status would be you can show at year end you had bookings with an airline or hotel and they cancelled it or your own country/country travelling to enforced suspension.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I agree with gater1960. The OP concern is laughable with the present context, considering he is a seasoned traveller.
    I travelled a lot and now suddenly it stopped. Am I worried about my FF statues? Am I crazy? It never crossed my mind. I am rather worried about the people who must travel, like emergency responders, people in emergencies, etc.
    Also all FF status are gelid for 1-2 years. This situation either contained or mitigated in next 2-3 months or if not we have to worry about our normal wellbeing and forget about FF status.

And someone with really connected with business knows that global economy is at a crossroad (this virus or not), the business cost has to come down drastically. And business travel will reduce due to economic reasons and technological improvements. One shall better anticipate that – FF status is a small perks.

stevescoots
    Participant

Got an email from CX today. I class that as good service

We understand that concerns about the coronavirus and travel restrictions imposed by different countries may have affected your travel plans recently, making it challenging to reach your normal tier requirement. In recognition of your support, we are offering club points relief and extending your benefits.

Club points relief per month in February, March and April 2020, based on your current tier*
    • Diamond 140 club points
    • Gold 65 club points
    • Silver 30 club points

More time to use your mid-tier benefits
    For Lounge Passes, Bookable Upgrades and Gold Companion Card nominations that expire in February, March or April 2020, we are reissuing these benefits for another 6 months so you can enjoy them when your travel resumes. The reissue of mid-tier benefits will take 7 working days from the date of expiry.

We will continue to monitor the situation beyond April and will announce any changes at the appropriate time.

WearyWeagie
    Participant

Excellent response from Cathay!
    I would switch to Marco Polo from BA Exec in a heartbeat if I could transfer my avios and get a status match!

TupeloKid
    Participant

Call me an old curmudgeon, and someone who probably shouldn’t be posting on a business travel website but, having never been comfortable anyway with the potential conflict of interest inherent in there being a personal reward for one’s company’s expenditure, I don’t have a lot of sympathy with the OP.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=991607][/postquote]

they status matched me about 6 months ago, i dropped to silver at BA due to lack of tier points and put me in at gold, I used my avios on CX anyway

Tramor01
    Participant

I received this email from Shangri-La hotels yesterday, an unexpected, but nice surprise.

Loyalty isn’t a word we use lightly. We believe it can’t be given; it has to be earned. We value the relationship we have with you and would like to extend our warmest gratitude for your continuous support to Shangri-La.
    In view of the current COVID-19 situation, we understand that your travel plans may be impacted. As such, we are delighted to extend your Golden Circle Diamond status with us until 31 December 2021. You will continue to enjoy your privileges including a 50% bonus on earning GC Award Points as well as our Club Lounge access.
    Your health and well-being are of utmost importance to us, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
    We wish you continued good health and safe travels.
    Yours sincerely,
    Wee Kee Ng
    Vice President, Marketing (Loyalty)
    Shangri-La Group

Shoni BR
    Participant

Definitelly very nice from Shangri-La; as well, smart and clever.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls