Free use of BA's Club World Lounge at Heathrow T5 for Armed Forces this weekend

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

We’ve received the following from BA which may be of interest:

“To celebrate Armed Forces Day, this Saturday 29 June, British Airways will be inviting members of the Armed Forces, along with their travel companions, to enjoy the airline’s award-winning Club World Lounge at its home at Heathrow Terminal 5.

“The gesture forms part of BA Magic 100, British Airways’ commitment to deliver 100 acts of kindness to celebrate it’s centenary. MOD90 card holders will be invited to enjoy the exclusive lounge experience ahead of their flight on Saturday.

“British Airways signed the UK Armed Forces Covenant in 2015 and supports the 94 cadet volunteers and Army, Navy and Air Force reservists who work for the airline.

“This week, reservists were joined by XIX Crawley Squadron RAF Cadets pipes and drum band on a tour of British Airways’ Heathrow locations, where CEO and Chairman Alex Cruz joined in the celebrations and raised the Armed Forces Day flag at the airline’s head office.

“British Airways also offers a 10 per cent discount to Armed Forces personnel and their families on all fares across its vast global network.”

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“As a gesture” – BA PR at its best!!

I am very much in favour of the American system and the respect given to the military, all year round, not just for one day.

The interesting point will be whether the UK military taking advantage of this gesture, will be allowed access (and boarding) in uniform?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=945578]The interesting point will be whether the UK military taking advantage of this gesture, will be allowed access (and boarding) in uniform?[/quote]

Fully agree Martyn, but why shouldn’t they be allowed to board in uniform?

TupeloKid
    Participant

“The gesture forms part of BA Magic 100, British Airways’ commitment to deliver 100 acts of kindness to celebrate it’s centenary.”

Will BA be making the same offer to greengrocers? (Or should I say greengrocer’s?)

esselle
    Participant

I hadn’t been to the USA for a while, but was there last week and made a few domestic flights.

I had forgotten about priority boarding being available for serving military personnel, and think it to be a very patriotic gesture.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m going to go against the grain here…..

And I’ll start by saying that my family is rooted in the military …..
    My grandfather was part of the famous Macrae’s battalion story which emerged from Tynecastle Park . My Uncle was one of the first (underage) marines onto Gold and my dad served in Germany with the RAF just after WW2. My military career is a little less auspicious, serving in the RCAF squadron 261 as a cadet. However I am extremely proud of the rest of my relatives.

Today’s service is not a conscription service, it’s very much seen as profession. Granted we owe a debt to our military for keeping us safe by putting their lives on the line. So if we are going to extend that thanks to our military personnel , I’d advocate we extend it to the rest of the emergency services . Our Police, Firemen and not forgetting those who literally save life’s day in and day out for little or no reignition.
    The doctors and nurses who toil in our NHS hospitals ?

I’m also very uncomfortable about the creeping influence of misplaced patriotism that we are now seeing on this side of the pond. Politicians trying to proof their Britishness by wearing a flag on their lapel is another American habit I’d rather not see over here!
    There is a fine line between respecting our armed forces contribution to our safety and glorifying their role , almost to the point of acting as a recruitment centre.
    And all too often in the US that line is crossed , Its cringing and alarming when it is!!

As an aside, have any of you been on a train with army personnel heading home on furlough from their barracks on a Friday night . Not pleasant!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls