Free travel between Heathrow terminals to end

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Originally LHR had planned to end the free bus travel on January 1 this year.

Heathrow suspends Free Travel Zone

BugAdvisor
    Participant

Does this also include travel between terminals on the Heathrow Express? If not, I can imagine the inter-terminal price could easily be £7.50 based on the ridiculous £25 pounds fare into London.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Isn’t it just a way to put the cost on the airlines? I don’t see an alliance asking passengers to pay for such a transfer…

1 user thanked author for this post.

FinnKZ229
    Participant

I presume that airside transfers between Terminals would still be free for passengers in transit.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I cant see the issue of passengers having to pay for inter airport travel. I am sure those airlines who wish to cover the cost for connecting passengers will create a voucher system. Airport hotels removed free transfers ages ago – nobody seemed to care…

FrDougal
    Participant

I’m pretty sure its just the TFL Buses which are ending the free travel zone around the airport.
    The rail services will remain free as will the airside coach transfers remain in place.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I am sure Berkshirelive made a mistake with its caption.

As we reported – see the piece above – it applies only to the Tfl services in the Heathrow area.

Heathrow airport’s website makes no mention of any charge levied for its bus transfers between the terminals.

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airport/airport-maps/travel-between-terminals

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

We have obtained the following quote and information from Heathrow:

A Heathrow spokesperson said:

“We took the difficult decision to temporarily suspend the Heathrow Free Travel Zone and end some other local transport subsidies, at the start of the year. These steps have been taken under considerable cost pressures, following several months of suppressed passenger demand, with significantly reduced revenue, continued travel restrictions and very little help from the Government in areas such as business rate alleviation. As soon as financial health is restored, we are committed to reinstating an improved programme of subsidised and sustainable travel.”

Other information:

– Colleague car parking forms part of Heathrow’s other regulated charges (‘ORCs’). The Civil Aviation Authority regulation stipulates that ORCs paid to Heathrow cannot generate any profit or loss for the airport. As such, ORCs operate on a strict cost-recovery basis for services which are provided solely by Heathrow to airport users. Due to this cost-recovery mechanism of ORCs, any revenue that is above or below the cost of operating the service is factored into the price for the following year.

– Colleague car parking has a number of fixed costs which are largely outside of Heathrow’s control, for example rent and business rates for parking. We have sought to reduce costs within our control by as much as possible, but unfortunately there remains an increase in costs to cover the remainder among airport pass holders and to cover the shortfall from last year.

– Inter terminal transfers between the CTA and T5 are free – for passengers and colleagues via HEx and London Underground

– Please note that a Transport for London Oyster card or contactless payment mechanism is required to activate the ticket gates on London Underground services, but you won’t be charged for your journey as long as you only travel between terminals. If you are using Heathrow Express or TfL Rail, please obtain a free Inter-Terminal Transfer ticket from one of the machines in the station for your journey.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls