Free Newspapers v Wi-Fi

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

first_class_please
    Participant

Having connected a couple of days ago through Heathrow to a BA domestic flight, I picked up a couple of newspapers on boarding. FT and the Daily Mail (the two options available).

Face value £2.50 and £0.60

Onboard many people were reading the papers, not much arm room so a bit painful.

Now, I’ve no idea how much major airlines / airports pay for the papers, but, would it not be easier, cheaper, greener, to just install and give free Wi-Fi on domestic / European flights?

Or maybe free for all frequent flyer card holders and a pound or two for others?

Let me read what I want, or read / send emails.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I agree, but these are newspapers distributed free by the papers themselves, to boost “circulation”. You would not see me dead with one of those titles, by the way.

MarcusUK
    Participant

KLM have introduced i-pads in the lounges at AMS. They already have major publications loaded in so you just click, and there they are.

Very green, practical and money saving, and a good use of technology. I believe on long haul they are introducing them also.
    Ground staff also have them at Schiphol for KLM now, to assist passengers and have all information to hand, even gate staff as you land standing at the end of the air bridge to assist!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

What’s wrong with the FT David?

From 5am UK time you can download the FT to your iPad. Ft.com/epaper and read it almost as if you had the paper in your hand – but taking up a bit less space!

I also just discovered BT on PressReader.com. A great app allowing you to download today’s paper or magazine from all over the world.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I’ve just tucked the weekend FT in my bag to read on the way to the USA tomorrow. Funnily enough, I seem to have left out the Mail on Sunday….

canucklad
    Participant

Call me old fashioned, call me an old fogey, call me a fuddy duddy….
    My newspapers of choice are…..

Daily record for the latest footie heartache (I’m a Jambo)
    The Scotsman for Business and other sports news
    The “ I” and the Independent for analysis
    The Express for Ann Widdicombe …..

You can’t beat the feel and texture of a real newspaper…..

Don’t like kindles either….

MarcusUK
    Participant

I do like the technology in the KLM lounge, and on board if these are pre-loaded and not needing a wi fi connection.

But i have to admit on my regular LHR/LCY to AMS flights, a good old Paper copy of The Times keeps me occupied for an hour at least. I know what is going on around the world and in Business, as well as the UK.
    £1 ex UK, but 4 Euros coming back!
    Better than the people next to me staring at the seat and in flight magazine for 1-2 hr on board time on the LHR flights!
    I agree, technology has its place, but not instead of newspapers and magazines.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls