Free food in economy on BA out of LCY?

Back to Forum

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  mkcol74 29 Aug 2019
at 16:18

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Just spent in week in CZ. Out BA from LGW, but flew back into LCY. Self and Mrs TOH were upgraded to CE, which was nice, but I noticed that the snacl and drink served in economy were free.

Is this only available on flights in and out of LCY, and if so, why?

canucklad
    Participant

I believe its because the flights out of LCY are run by City Express or Stobart Air on behalf of BA, but not 100% certain

Bullfrog
    Participant

Snack and drink .. suffice it to say a small bag of crisps, popcorn or a biscuit.

Stobart Air, to Bergerac on Sunday were offering a choice of salmon or quinoa in economy .. but don’t hold your breath .. enough salmon to half fit a tablespoon, a few small lettuce leaves and a few spoonfuls of rice mix .. and I agree, its better than nothing.

I’d much prefer a Marks & Spencer sandwich service.

Better still .. BA should offer Pret on board.

mkcol74
    Participant

Snack and drink .. suffice it to say a small bag of crisps, popcorn or a biscuit.

Stobart Air, to Bergerac on Sunday were offering a choice of salmon or quinoa in economy .. but don’t hold your breath .. enough salmon to half fit a tablespoon, a few small lettuce leaves and a few spoonfuls of rice mix .. and I agree, its better than nothing.

I’d much prefer a Marks & Spencer sandwich service.

Better still .. BA should offer Pret on board.

Maybe Pret wouldn’t be the best combination given what happened on board a BA flight after one of their products was consumed.

StephenLondon
    Participant

Just spent in week in CZ. Out BA from LGW, but flew back into LCY. Self and Mrs TOH were upgraded to CE, which was nice, but I noticed that the snacl and drink served in economy were free.

Is this only available on flights in and out of LCY, and if so, why?

BA flights at LCY are operated by CityFlyer, a subsidiary of British Airways (with occasional substitutions/wet leases like any other carrier). The fleet of Embraer 170s and 190s only have two cabin crew, as they max layout on a -190 variant for CityFlyer is 98 passengers. Given that Club Europe and Euro Traveller are operated on all aircraft, crew cannot serve Club and then sell food to customers in Euro Traveller due to time and resource limitations. Thus, CityFlyer offer complimentary catering (short flights it is crisps/popcorn/biscuits, longer get a mini-meal). Drinks are also complimentary, although I’ve noticed on very short flights (AMS, for example) they just churn out tea/coffee/water/juice and alcohol seems to be on request. I have to give credit to LCY crews…they work hard, esp on short flights, to serve everyone on board. On some of the more popular premium leisure routes (IBZ, NCE, PMI) it is not unusual to have up to 38 Club customers. That is when you really see the crew hustle. They could often use an additional crew member, which I have seen only once in all the hundreds of flights I have taken with them.

3 users thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Not sure any food or drink is ever “free”, but flying KLM on their 8 flights a day LCY-AMS, you do get a complimentary service.

In Business (Mostly occupied by Leisure travellers going onto Intercontinental flights), a excellent box of various Chilled foods menu depends on time of day, cold / Bar drinks, with tea coffee. Economy Comfort seats and Economy have a very speedy little box with water a mini stroopwafel, and a sandwich or wrap depending on the time of day.
    The usual trolley drinks of juices, waters, beer, wine, Carbonated drinks, tea coffee (Douwe Egberts). The crew work speedily, yet never seem rushed and always pleasant and polite.

This is really excellent for such a short flight, and it is consistent. It seems well appreciated by all on board, often commented on in the KLM flight reviews you are invited to complete after flying with KLM. I have yet to take a flight that is not fully booked on this route, so KLM have established an excellent reputation since taking back the route over 2 yrs ago. This is one of the features of KLM on all European routes, including these Cityhopper services, and the new Embraer 190’s.
    They have 49 jets, the largest fleet of Embraers in Europe.
    I also see they intend to purchase 35 E195-E2 jets, to add to this fleet!

3 users thanked author for this post.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I have to give credit to LCY crews

Yes, agreed. Not only that, but the (cold) lunch they served was damn good. Salmon salad (Mrs, or to be strictly accurate, Dr. TOH), and lentil salad (me) plus, somewhat bizarrely, scones and clotted cream.

It’s years since I flew out of LCY and this would encourage me to do so next time I have to go to AMS.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

I flew to Greece earlier this week in economy and was served a hot bacon roll (with ketchup or brown sauce) in economy. A bit later there was a full bar service with those sour cream and chive pretzels. Personally I hate them and wish they would serve either plain or maybe BBQ pretzels for a change!

Anyway nice to get some free economy food (after the CE service) although of course M&S better quality.

Stowage222
    Participant

I have no complaints. On a GLA/LCY flight on a Friday morning I was served a complimentary warm bacon roll, juice, water and a coffee FOC. Much more civilised than the BA BOB which I out of principle never buy. I take a Costa coffee and croissant on board and enjoy.

suffolkpunch
    Participant

We use LCY a lot.

The cabin crew have told us that the reason Europe Traveller get snacks and Club get “better” meals is that the is no lounge at LCY and this is the compensation!

As others have said its mostly only popcorn or crisps, other than early morning departures. Its pretty tough though for people like my wife (who is a coeliac) and cannot eat any non-gluten free bread.

However, the Stobart operated flights though are much less good than the BA City flyer ones. Both crews, catering and service need to be improved. Recently, I think I saw two members of Stobart cabin crew enjoying a small bottle of the “Club” champagne!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Recently, I think I saw two members of Stobart cabin crew enjoying a small bottle of the “Club” champagne!!

That would be an extremely serious ‘I think’ especially if the crew were on duty!

mkcol74
    Participant

So popcorn & crisps are fine for your wife then @suffolkpunch, no?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls