Frankfurt via another German airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Martyn, I’d also say Koln or DUS, but maybe worth looking at Stuttgart as well. Train is about 1.17 to Frankfurt.

Hotels also likely to be cheaper there so you could fly in, overnight, morning train in, then back and out.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Alex

The Wuppertal monorail is a good half day out, if anyone has yet to try it and is visiting the area.

Especially good at Xmas, when you can jump on and off and visit Christmas markets etc.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello FDoS

Good idea. I know Cologne (it’s a city where I spent time on a student exchange many years ago) and Dusseldorf. But have never found time to visit Wuppertal.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have now booked my trip and have to say am very suprised with the solution.

I once again checked avios, nothing in business or economy. Then went to kayak / BA and LH sites and nothing suitable for less than £200 (economy). Started checking Cologne and DUS for flights and train times and more or less found something suitable. before booking, I thought I would try Miles and More….

EVERY SINGLE MORNING LH FLIGHT LON-FRA was open and available….. booked !

One question though, why do Avios charge £17 for the additional charges and LH/Miles and More charge £75 for the additional charges…?

Binman62
    Participant

Miles and more chargé full fuel surcharge and so makes the programme for short haul redemptions poor value generally, though in your case perhaps not given the fares available.

BA offer reward flight saver and they have effectively dropped the fuel surcharge on those flights with the fee being used to cover APD and airport fees. The down side is that these seats are only available when the lower fare classes are also available. Not withstanding the programme has improved immeasurably as a result for short haul redemptions in the last year or so.

I would have chosen DUS as th station is very efficient and well served by high speed ICE trains.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Take a flight to CGN (Cologne/Bonn Airport)

Then take a taxi to Siegburg ICE-Station, about 15 mins from Apt. Let the taxi take you to platform 6, the open accessible paltform, where the train leaves..about 25 metres from taxi.
    Buy ticket in train.

From there is a hourly (at least) train to FRA airport, which takes 36 minutes for the 164 kilometres.

Do not take a train/taxi to Cologne station, you will loose about one hour (taxi plus train) and some Euros for the longer distance.

Check on http://www.bahn.de for connection between Bonn/Siegburg and FRA.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls