Frankfurt via another German airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Week of the 13th, Flights to Frankfurt are challenging due to a trade fair.

Which would be the best alternative airport to fly to with a train station to get to Frankfurt city?

I cant find a direct train service, but flying to Stuttgart or Koln look like the best option, and then getting a train from the respective city.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Martyn

I would suggest Cologne. Check with bahn.com and you’ll see fast trains departing roughly every hour.

There’s a non-stop ICEs at 1031 (which ir probably too early for you) which takes just 1hr 17mins. Otherwise you take the S-Bahn into town and change to the ICE. This adds just over 20 mins to the journey time.

Hello Martyn

I would also suggest Cologne (it’s bizarre seeing it in English!).

Or Luxembourg…. there is a coach to Frankfurt with a change at Hahn but the train involves at least 1 stop and is a bit of a trek.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks Alex and Alexpo1.

Cologne is favourite, I like that 10,31 non stop, but yes it is too early for me!!

I have to fly from LHR as Ive been booked into a hotel there on Sunday night.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

Look at Dusseldorf, the airport is integrated into the rail network, by a monorail service and the DB service to Frankfurt is good.

Alternatively, Brussels and an ICE train. There is integrated rail from under BRU to the stations in Brussels, where the ICE train leaves.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks FDoS. Just checked the DB web.

3.16h from BRU. Would make sense if BRU is chosen to check the EUROSTAR to see whether train would work all the way through.

Good morning Martyn

I would offer to scoot you over the hills in record time, but when it comes to driving I have no sense of direction and I don’t even own a motor!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Alexpo1 – extremely kind of you, you are the sensible one (no car!!).

Looked at the Eurostar options to BRU then ICE but the journey is that bit too long. Price is about the same as flying direct to FRA, but only because of the messe that is on at the same time.

I cant understand why no one can come up with integrated European train solutions.

What is also interesting is the airlines seem to come up with solutions such as via TXL, a much longer route, but its the airline just trying to release more seats.

I have my options, will wait until meeting is finalised before booking.

Thanks to all who have helped.

Hello Martyn

I don’t know when you need to travel? Are flights to FRA really that full?

flier74
    Participant

Cologne/ Köln is defonately the best option, whilst DUS is also integrated intothe mailnline DB network. Stuttgart is a also a quick alternative, however it involves a short transfter o n the regional train to Stuttgart Central station before embarking onto the frequent ICE train. Have you looked into flight connections via DUS or BRU? Just to add another idea to get you there swiftly
    Keep us posted how you get on

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Dusseldorf would have been my second suggestion. But it’s just that little little further from Frankfurt than is Cologne.

Dusseldorf airport is close to downtown. It’s linked by the S-Bahn.

Re the monorail, FormerlyDoS, are you thinking of the famous elevated railway in nearby Wuppertal which dates back to 1901 ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal_Suspension_Railway

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think FDoS refers to the Monorail from the DUS terminal that takes you to the Intercity rail station (past the car parks).

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Alex

I’m thinking of the Duesseldorf Skytrain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=973-ASD65UA

The Wuppertal monorail is similar, but rather older

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOETPhO6P0k

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Apologies. I stand corrected.

But yes, Martyn, you are right about the lack of integration within mainland Europe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls