Frankfurt users suffer major security delays

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Regular complaints concerning queues at some London airports. Now Frankfurt has been criticised for being understaffed over the festive period.

Reports that travellers were having to wait up to 90 mins to clear security.

https://www.dw.com/en/thousands-miss-holiday-flights-at-understaffed-frankfurt-airport/a-46851235

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Having travelled through LGW this am, with some trepidation, I can report all was the picture of efficiency.

No queue to check in.
    No queue to get through security.
    Flight left bang on time and arrived on time.

Only slight service malfunction was No 1 lounge taking 40 mins to serve our food order. On the plus side, at least they let us in with a priority pass card.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve found security to be generally good at FRA, but when it’s bad, it’ really bad. Recently transiting at FRA and arriving at 0510 there was the Economy lane and the Business/Priority lane. Economy lane fully staffed, but the Business one had not a single operator. However all the personnel were present, drinking coffee and chatting. Apparently their shift didn’t start till 0545! Cue everyone shifting over to the Economy lane, which was now horrendously long.

Because I was the first in line, I ended up last at the Economy lane, when I noticed the staff now taking positions. It was 0544. I quickly turned around and was then again first in line and through, though I lost 20 minutes of lounge time!

KennyK14
    Participant

LGW, along with LCY and EDI, has some of the most efficient security operations. I learned recently that this is because they do not have an operator sitting next to the scanner, nor do the scanner operators need to rotate as they do in most other airports. Indeed, the operators for all 3 airports sit in a remote location, and can be tasked to monitor the scanners at any of the of 3 airports. This leads to a significantly quicker and more efficient throughput of passengers and staff (up too 4x higher passenger throughput).

Muiris
    Participant

Facing a 70 minute connection next June on Dub-Fra-YVR trip (LH).
    I’m becoming increasingly pessimistic about our chances of making it.
    Do DUB – FRA flights usually end up at remote stands? If so, we’re bunched!
    Thoughts?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Muiris – If it’s any consolation that 70 mins is still in excess of FRA’s MCT.

TBH I doubt if anyone could predict where the DUB flight would park after it arrives at FRA.

I say that because there are many variables in aviation and at airports. In addition June will be after the summer 2019 schedules commence and these will doubtless affect how LH schedules its fleet.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=911607]Facing a 70 minute connection next June on Dub-Fra-YVR trip (LH).

I’m becoming increasingly pessimistic about our chances of making it.

Do DUB – FRA flights usually end up at remote stands? If so, we’re bunched!

Thoughts?[/quote]

I’m assuming as RoI is non Schengen, you will not have to go through passport control as you’re in transit to Canada.
    There should also be no further security check as Ireland is “trusted”. At least it didn’t happen to me each time I transited.
    Further, in a way the bus is faster (and less hassle) than having to walk from a far away dock to the central area, as the bus brings you right there.

I’ve been from a remote stand to a far gate in “Z” in less than 20 minutes, so 70 minutes should be plenty of time to make the connection so don’t worry about it.

I would however advise looking at a map of FRA and familiarising yourself with it, or download the app. FRA can be very confusing and I’ve been in and out of passport control several times when I did not need to!!

capetonianm
    Participant

If your DUB FRA YVR is a through fare on the same ticket and you miss the connection it is the airline’s responsibility to reroute/reacc you, and if you arrive in YVR >4 hours late you get EU261 compensation of €600 (subject to ……) I know that’s not ideal but at least you’re not left out of pocket.

Muiris
    Participant

Thanks guys for the feedback. Much appreciated. M

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls