Frankfurt layover

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• cameronc
    Participant

Hello,

My first time posting on the forum. Me and my girlfriend are flying GLA-FRA-SIN on LH in March, and return but with an 8-hour layover. There doesn’t appear to be any paid-entry lounges airside (we are flying economy and don’t have any lounge access privileges) so does anyone have any tips on how to kill time there, or if there are any quiet places for a quick nap?

Many thanks for your help.

GivingupBA
    Participant

You could try the Sleeping in Airports website, Frankfurt section:

Frankfurt Airport Guide

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Head down to the train station on the lower levels of the airport and take a train into town? Some fresh air and a walk around can do a world of good. I did this on the way back from Medan via Singapore a couple of years back!

capetonianm
    Participant

When I transmitted FRA I usually used to take a train to Mainz or Wiesbaden, smaller and quieter than Frankfurt, and spend time there.

I’m sure there are paid entry lounges, most airports have one, but I haven’t checked.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

canucklad
    Participant

Morning cameronc
    Capetonianm has beaten me to it, I’d also suggest grabbing a breath of fresh air and head the short journey to Mainz. 20 minutes or so by train
    Much nicer and quintessentially more German than Frankfurt .
    A chance to extend your holiday by awe biy.
    Find a bierkeller on the square and grab a pleasant pilsner or a glass of Riesling and chill.
    Much better than being overcharged in an airport bar !!

Johnnyg
    Participant

What time is your layover?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Many paid entry lounges only allow 3 hours so I would head off. As Capetonian says, Mainz is a pretty town, so, if it is beer time, head there.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Going along with the others, you could take a train into Frankfurt and have a nice lunch there and a walk then return in good time. Alternatively FRA is massive, and there is a free train linking the terminal. I had a 6 hour layover once with my son, and we walked between the terminals, took the free train, went air side for a McDonalds and the time actually pased quite quickly. We did have lounge access though but in your case you could pay to use a lounge. have a look here.

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/travel/transfer.detail.suffix.html/article/travel/services-a-z/lounges/lounges.html

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi Cameronc – welcome to the forum.

My fellow posters have made some good suggestions for you to consider all of which are good, I too have had a long layover and have been to Mainz but on another occasion I could not be bothered to leave the airport so I went land-side and got myself a day-room at the Sheraton Hotel which you can walk into from the terminal.

I too had an 8 hour layover and it was great to rest for a few hours as I had come in overnight from the USA and was flying on to the ME. After a few hours rest I had a shower and then a nice meal before heading back to the airport. There are a number of hotels easily accessible from the terminal so just another option you may like to consider.

Have a great trip and please let us know what you decide to do.

silkenthreads
    Participant

Summing up other posts about layover in FRA:-
    -there are pay-for entry lounges in Terminal 1 and also T2, but for a limited time,
    -you can get a shower for a few Euros in T 1 and T2,
    -there is one airside transit hotel bookable for a minimum 3 hours.
    If you arrive from Singapore on the early flight you will be so tired you might want to stay at the airport.
    If you do go landside there are three hotels you can use in the day.
    -there are plenty of eating outlets on the lower level. The small airport supermarket has long opening hours.
    -if you go into Frankfurt it is only 15 minutes on the S-Bahn to Hbf. You can get a day ticket for the Rhein/Main area, covering the S- and U-Bahn, bus and trams. You could go on to the information office at the Roemer then pay for a city bus tour that leaves nearby. On one freezing winter’s day I spent a happy few hours at the cinema museum in the city; the museums are on the other bank of the Main from Roemerplatz.
    If you get the S-Bahn to Mainz you can find places to sit awhile – but it is not so easy to think where to have a nap.
    Remember to leave plenty of time to get to your departure lounge,
    have a great trip.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cameronc
    Participant

Hello all,

I hadn’t actually thought about going into the city but it’s definitely something I’ll look at, the only issue is I land at 6a. I’ll see what options there are for showers and paid lounges etc to freshen up, thanks all.

Stuart
    Participant

I have also had long layovers at FRA and headed into the city for a few hours. It is quick easy and inexpensive by DB or S bahn. Most of the central rail stations also have luggage lockers in case you have a roller bag/ heavy hand luggage.

There are public shower rooms at the Z50/ A50 gates opposite LH lounge in Terminal 1 (cost 6/7 euro).

So grab a shower, change clothes, get some breakfast and head off exploring. Remember to allow plenty of time for your return as security queues can sometimes be very long.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls