France imposes quarantine on UK arrivals

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

The French embassy in London has tweeted the following:

GivingupBA
    Participant

“France imposes quarantine on UK arrivals”. That is no surprise to me. This may, or may not, be the start of reciprocal (quarantine, and other) actions by other countries, in response to the UK’s 14-day quarantine.

And also, how will travellers arriving in the UK travel to their place of quarantine? Will there be a quarantine coach on the London Tube, and Heathrow Express, and trains? Will they be separated from the UK population?

Reeferman
    Participant

Rules have now been published on how the UK Govt intends to implement it:
    https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

Spain introduced similar rules – effective 15th May – although am unaware of its implementation methodology.

capetonianm
    Participant

Reassuring to know that you can leave your place of quarantine :

if there’s an emergency, for example there’s a fire at the place you’re staying

1 user thanked author for this post.

Roa1
    Participant

What happens to the lorry/truck drivers bringing our daily fresh vegetables and fruits from France and the continent! When are the drivers expected to start their 14 days self-quarantine; at the point of entry to ports, after customs clearance at some local hotel, or reporting to their duty stations? This could also apply to the French drivers going back home.

My mind boggles just thinking about it, and trust that we won’t be running short of our daily supply of fresh fruits and vegetables from the continent!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=999360]What happens to the lorry/truck drivers bringing our daily fresh vegetables and fruits from France and the continent! When are the drivers expected to start their 14 days self-quarantine; at the point of entry to ports, after customs clearance at some local hotel, or reporting to their duty stations? This could also apply to the French drivers going back home.[/quote]

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=999360][/postquote]

Lorry drivers are one of the many exclusions.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Clarity from both the French and UK authorities is needed. If it is not clear, then we cannot plan. For me, it is not an issue of tourism, it is work.

I am stuck in London, and at some time before the end of July I need to get to my office in France for a week. To complicate things, the office is just over the border from Geneva, and I do not want to get stuck at the Swiss – French border. The solution is to fly with AF to GVA, and then leave the airport via the secteur français and then, if I can arrange a lift, the access road from the airport is French territory.

So far so good, but how long will it take to board at LHR? Will the transit at CDG be easy – or difficult? When I arrive in France, will I ba able to move between my flat and my office? Will I get out again?

Being stuck back in the house in London for a fortnight will be the easy part….

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Marvellous work by our useless Home Secretary – thousands of workers arriving without any checks from parts of eastern europe to pick our foodstuffs and spread the virus….

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Much less virus in Eastern Europe than here. In the Czech Republic (not Eastern, of course) you can drink inside the pub from today, there is so little virus….

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=999411][/postquote]

You mean apart from the checks they all undergo before getting on the flights?

In any case they all live together on the farms so are unlikely to spread it far.

Still I suppose that wouldn’t make a good Daily Mail story?

4 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=999407]To complicate things, the office is just over the border from Geneva, and I do not want to get stuck at the Swiss – French border. The solution is to fly with AF to GVA, and then leave the airport via the secteur français and then, if I can arrange a lift, the access road from the airport is French territory.[/quote]

From what i understand David, if you have a valid reason, and work is one of them, you can cross the Swiss / French border freely. There were just 3 crossing points but I believe they have now opened more frontiers. However, if you bring shopping with you, expect a CHF 100 fine from the Swiss customs!!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

SimonS! If unchecked farm workers from around europe can come in without check why should we bother on checks for tourists coming from the same areas – not rational. Either quarantine is needed or is not. We could also collect farm workers from the parts of Asia that have low infection rates as well with out upsetting potty patel?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Dear LP, my only shopping will be from the UK – two bottles of gin for my secretary!

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=999438][/postquote]

The farm employers are screening all the employees before they leave their countries, so I don’t get your point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls