Forum or Bear Pit?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

PaulJennings
    Participant

I suggest a ‘report inappropriate post’ button be added to the forum. This is quite common and can be a good way for users to highlight to administrators posts that, for one reason or another, have no place in a civilised discussion, whether serious or light-hearted.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,

It’s a good idea, but it brings up the question of what’s considered inappropriate.

We’ve had forum users email us to report threads or posts they think are inappropriate, and sometimes we have agreed, and sometimes not agreed.

We remove obvious things – spam, adverts, foul language or libels/ slanders, but as I pointed out on another thread

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Anonymity-or-Identify-Ourselves

we can’t read everything on here and so a notification device would be useful, albeit with the proviso that we might not agree with the complaint.

For the moment (ie: until we get a button on the site – (more cost!) – forums users can always email us on

[email protected]

golfpro
    Participant

POST DELETED

SimonRowberry
    Participant

This is an interesting thread.

You will have noticed that a number of people have recently abandoned their anonymity on this Forum and started to use their real names. It is now very interesting to also note that, since this ‘coming out’ so to speak, I don’t recall (and please correct me if I’m wrong) a single abusive post being made by anyone who uses their real name on this Forum.

It seems that it is so much easier to be unpleasant to others when you cannot be personally identified and therefore held to account for what you say. Equally, it may well be the case that it is also easier to be unpleasant to someone who uses a pseudonym, or between people who cannot identify each other.

Also, anonymity means that people can make whatever claims they wish, with no possibility of proving or disproving their claims/experiences (unless, of course, they make obvious factual or other errors). I have no idea whether VintageKrug or any other anonymous poster (and that includes golfpro) is making up a lifestyle and is a Walter Mitty character. That may or may not be the case. The fact is, however, that anyone who chooses not to use their own name can create a parallel life for themselves on message boards and forums all over the web. I’m not saying that anyone on this Forum is doing that, but simply stating the fact that there may well be sad people who choose to make up for their own inadequacy in life by living in a virtual fantasy world. The point is that it is unlikely we can ever know. Let’s just hope that their advice is not fantasy!!

As we have discussed on other recent threads, there may well be ‘good’ reasons why people choose to remain anonymous and I am not criticising that per se. I am merely making some observations which, to me at least, are interesting in terms of human behaviour.

Simon

PS Just as an aside, I have now made personal friendships with a couple of people on this Forum as a result of the abandonment of anonymity. That’s a further spin-off of openness.

NTarrant
    Participant

Well said Simon, the whole purpose of this forum is to create discussion about whatever you want to do with travel. So what is wrong with taking a flight to see fireworks. We all do things that others may find unusual and the resulti s that those people are ridiculed unfairly for it. Just like people that stand alongside runways collecting plane numbers or on the end of railway platforms collecting train numbers are seen by some as nerds. The same could be said for those that play golf, not my bag, but you get on and enjoy it, its what you want to do.

Something like the Tarantulas thread has ended up with some of us meeting in the new year and we have that sado, that golfpro calles him, VintageKrug to thank for starting the thread in the first place, presumably for a laugh.

The moral is that if you find that the firework thread nerdy, don’t read it, don’t both contributing, move on and let those that find it of interest enjoy the discussion.

Nigel

VintageKrug
    Participant

Quite so.

To be clear, I didn’t take the flight specifically to see fireworks, simply arranged my appointments so that a flight I needed to take anyway occurred that evening, maximising my firework-viewing potential.

People take flights all the time for purely leisure purposes, or to experience the miracle of flight. Such flights range from from viewing comets, the Northern lights, to fear of flying courses. I don’t doubt many reading this take flights purely to retain airline status, a reasonably common practice among mileage junkies and road warriors in the USA.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Simon and Nigel, I could not agree more with both of you, so thanks for saving me having to write a long post.

VK, as you know I do not always agree with some of the things that you say and have said so, I believe , without resorting to any type of personal attack as that is what this forum is for. If you want to take a flight specifically to see the fireworks (I know you did not on this occassion) then good for you, as that is your business and yours alone.

Golfpro, not sure why you felt the need to attack VK in the way you did in a different thread. what evidence do you have to support your theory that VK makes his posts up, even if he does, which I do not believe is the case, then as long as his posts are entertaining and or the information he provides is both accurate and helpful then what is the problem? VK has kindly explained his reasoning although he certainly does not need to justify himself to you.

There is never any reason for personal attacks on any of the posters here on this forum. You may not like or agree with what they say and are free to engage in constructive debate but that does not give you the right to attack them on a personal basis, ever.

As a complete aside I write this from the garden of my parents home in Israel, where it is a rather lovely 27 degrees and we will shortly be enjoying a BBQ for lunch, YUM YUM.

Safe travels everyone.

PS Hess, where and how are you my friend, you have been very quiet lately?

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Agreed, and remember those Concorde flights which landed at the same airport you took off from – sadly I always put going on one off until tomorrow – just to say you had been on it or gone supersonic.
    I am the proud owner of the certificate for the 2-minute world’s shortest flight in Orkney – and it meant spending several hours wandering round a deserted island waiting to get back! Just need to do the longest one now! (any ideas what it is, BT did a review of a 19-hour one, think Singapore to Chicago).
    And a train full of people also paid (for charity) to be on that record Glasgow – Euston Virgin Trains run – if only they could achieve times like that more often! We could go on…

Agree with golfpro that Tarantulas on a plane could now be removed by BT and reinstate the more common threads about BA boarding or whatever to the top of the charts, it has more than served its purpose (especially at a time when the forum was in danger of falling into the hands of the lawyers) of bringing out the lighter side, and hopefully a mutually productive meeting in the new year.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Of late the forum really became a few individual’s facebook. There is no harm as long as the readers get good information about travelling. As discussed in this thread, one could decide just not to take part or just ignore the thread that he/she does not like. There is no need for complain. Problem is some contributors could not see their own shortcomings – on one hand some one said not to make any direct comment on others or generalize, in next line, there is comment about ‘mileage junkies’ etc.

Hess963
    Participant

HI everyone !!

Hey , I was off for a while-being busy as eveyone else inorder to earn one’s living

Shalom Jonathan !! How is Israel ?-well here is cloudy and rainy–not so warm and definitely not 27 degrees–more 7 I would say ! Lucky you with the barbie ! We’ll have a roast as usual. Enjoy your stay and have good start next week.

I do not want to be the intiator of a deviation so–let me say something about the the topic:

“And we are in the playground again boys –are we !!” Not Airpocket against Vintage Krug–but the sporty Golfpro against our travel guru Vintage Krug !

I do not want to repeat the things have been said before–I agree that Simon and Nigel have said everything rightly–but isn’t just normal that Vintage Krug or Airpocket or whoever dares to say or comment anything sarcastic or hightening that someone will always say something pro or contra. That is the essence of this forum.

But the prime rule is not to insult someone intentionally or comment something against their religion, culture or values!! We can say everything we want to-but never forget the meaning of tolerance towards one another.

Yes, this forum has a lot of names–bear pit could be one from time to time–but more important than the names are the contributors and comments of those who really give their bests and very helpful to fill this forum a productive and sharing life for everyone of us

Greetings to all Hess !!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls