Forgot your manners?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

I had very unassuming parents who taught me to behave with respect towards others. I have therefore become much like cwoodward when others do not respect me and those around me. Having lived so long in the US it is a miracle I was not beaten up (or shot) long ago for my outspoken criticism of boorish behaviour – I can only suppose that it has not happened because the perpetrators do realise that what they are doing is really not acceptable and just need to be reminded – asking people if their parents would have appreciated their behaviour oftens seems to have some effect. It came as some surpise when, after almost a lifetime away, I returned to the UK and found it to be just as bad, maybe even worse. Personal freedom borders on the extreme in this country
    and the results are everywhere – yob culture, no school descipline, disrespect for police/emergency services/nhs employees,the horrors of travel we all have detailed. Perhaps if we all throw a fit when we come across it, eventually we will grind them down…

4 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=930269]Has any forum contributor seen this on a plane? I am certain the cleaners do not wipe screens at turnarounds so I will think twice about touching screens from now on.[/quote]

Brilliant photo, Ahmad. That’s really too much for me.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I didn’t even need to complain when this happened on a BA flight (European row 1). The cabin crew asked the offender to remove his bare feet from the bulkhead – they later told me they would not have asked had he been wearing shoes or even just socks at the time.

Can anyone ID the airline in the picture, (just out of curiosity)..

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=930271]Personal freedom borders on the extreme in this country and the results are everywhere – yob culture, no school descipline, disrespect for police/emergency services/nhs employees,the horrors of travel we all have detailed. Perhaps if we all throw a fit when we come across it, eventually we will grind them down…[/quote]

I fully agree. The lack of discipline is now a worldwide phenomenon and those of us who still retain what is left of the now passé value system must speak out when it is flagrantly derided (when there is no risk of getting shot of course).

Ahmad
    Participant

Martyn, from the kit tucked away where his feet should be, it looks like United Polaris but I may be wrong.

I have seen more feet on the bulkhead both with and without footwear than I care to remember, but never anything like this! The only greater transgression I can think of is planting bare feet on the table and hope no one has come across such an abomination.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=930297] I have seen more feet on the bulkhead both with and without footwear than I care to remember, but never anything like this! The only greater transgression I can think of is planting bare feet on the table and hope no one has come across such an abomination.[/quote]

I’ve never seen feet on a tray table, but I’ve seen some on the armrests of the seat in front – not good at all.

I read an article once about cabin crew dislikes and a strong one was passengers walking around (even to the toilet) barefoot. That also seems very wrong to me, needless to say.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I read an article once about cabin crew dislikes and a strong one was passengers walking around (even to the toilet) barefoot. That also seems very wrong to me, needless to say.

Walking barefoot is not a problem for me. I won’t do it because I don’t see the the carbet clean enough, and the bathroom is worse. But I don’t really mind others doing it, for some reason.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

Who would’ve thought someone would do this and why?

EBCC6EAA-B94D-4E77-879F-108C073CB68B

DerekVH
    Participant

This is a new initiative from Snr Cruz, passengers are helping BA reduce costs by doing their own screen cleaning! (I think that is a BA A321 in Club).

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=924804][/postquote]

Is this annoyance verging on outrage just my reaction?

Absolutely not!

Sadly, I find airport lounges some of the worst places in the world for this kind of behaviour. I have always gone outside whichever establishment I am in to field a call, and I only take the call if I deem it necessary. The ones who really steam my clams are the ones who whilst having their earth shatteringly important call pace around the lounge so everyone gets to witness their magnificence.

I would not tolerate this in a restaurant to be honest, there has to be a market for restaurants which check your phones in with the maître’d so you can enjoy a meal in peace!

Rgds.
    AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=974887][/postquote]

This thread has not been good for my blood pressure!

Rgds.
    AOTG.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=975035]The ones who really steam my clams are the ones who whilst having their earth shatteringly important call pace around the lounge so everyone gets to witness their magnificence.[/quote]

To be fair AOTG, I now have a degree of pity for these show boaters . More than likely they’ll be suffering from a deep insecurity. Have no true friends that recognize them for who they are and its more than likely they’ll be having their own personal race between suffering a heart attack or a complete nervous breakdown .

If only they could see themselves as others do .

As for Ahmad’s picture, it’s no wonder so many screen s I encounter aren’t up to the job
    Maybe the cabin crew should carry a yardstick on board !!

capetonianm
    Participant

I’ve sat next to farters, belchers, nosepickers, footpickers, sniffers, snorters, stinkers, crutch and bum scratchers, talkers, missionaries, people who think they own my armrest and leg space, and just about every bloody undesirable type of fellow traveller. About my worst is the stench of garlic breath.

I don’t mind public transport, it’s the other people I can’t stand.

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

capetonianm ; We obviously travel with the same crowd!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=975035]Sadly, I find airport lounges some of the worst places in the world for this kind of behaviour. I have always gone outside whichever establishment I am in to field a call, and I only take the call if I deem it necessary. The ones who really steam my clams are the ones who whilst having their earth shatteringly important call pace around the lounge so everyone gets to witness their magnificence.[/quote]

I no longer let the ‘cell phone warriors’ wind me up. Last week at a boarding gate, being forced to listen to a conversation about some executives busy diary, I nodded in agreement, shook my head in parts and pointed to my watch to tell him to hurry up. He was getting increasingly agitated at me listening to his conversation. He was on the verge of coming over to me when he had finished, but my stare and smile, seemed to gt the message across.

The worse offenders are the people with ‘things’ hanging out of both ears who are totally unaware of how loud they actually are.. A ssshhhhuusshhh sometimes works too.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls