Food poisoning

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

HBHLondon
    Participant

I went down with food poisoning after eating a cheese and ham sandwich at American Airlines Admirals lounge at Miami airport in January (food provided by SODEXO). During my MIA-BOG flight I was very ill and on arrival I was taken
    to a clinic by an ambulance that was waiting for me. I complained to American Airlines but they denied the sandwich caused the food poisoning, and claimed that I did not produce
    a lab test to support my claim. I have had food poisoning before and I am 100% certain it was caused by this dodgy SODEXO sandwich. The flight was around 6 hours late and at 1 am in a clinic on a drip, a lab test was the last thing on my mind. Is this American’s way of evading responsibility? Has anyone had a similar experience with them?

TMan126
    Participant

I had a very similar experience with Gulf air flying out of heathrow in first class. I am convinced that it happened on the LHR – Bahrain route as the illness started to show on both myself and my partner as we were in the lounge towards the end of a 6 hour delay. We were both VERY ill and my partner ended up in hospital. Gulf air also would not take responsibilty, I ended up simply sending back my frequent flyer card and moving on. I will NEVER fly with them again, the way they handled the problem was an absolute disgrace and sounds similar to their American counterparts. Short sighted and a disgrace in my opinion.

HBHLondon
    Participant

The funny side is that I had to pay for the sandwich ($10). American Airlines even refuse to refund the cost of the sandwich. The only food I ate that day was on American JFK-MIA at 8 am travelling in their so-called First Class, and that sandwich at MIA airport at around 3-4. I travelling Business on the MIA-BOG leg and spent the entire flight very ill.

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

About a year ago I ate breakfast in the BA arrivals lounge at LHR T1 and started to feel unwell about 8hrs later. I gradually felt worse and it took me a couple of days to recover. Previous to the lounge I had been on a JFK-LHR. I contacted BA who at first told me none of my fellow passengers had complained which convinced me even more it was the food in the lounge. BA were sympathetic but obviously would not take responsibilty – no airline ever will unless there is a mass outbreak of food poisoning inflight. It should never happen but at least they handled the matter better then AA or Gulf. Needless to say, I never eat at breakfast buffets anymore!

Chopper
    Participant

Of course the airlines won’t take responsibility because you cannot prove it. For all they know you may have eaten something else on the way to the lounge or before the flight or even picked up something a few days before your trip.
    Also – just like peanuts in a bar – why would you eat from bowls of food left out in open air for all grubby hands to touch? I make it a rule to only eat very hot food – just cooked – or packaged food in lounges.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls