Food poisioning at 5 Star European hotel

Back to Forum
Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

• Globalti
    Participant

Lightweights! This used to happen to me on EVERY visit to the Sheraton in Lagos in the 90s. Since I was always careful to respect the rules and avoid salads, undercooked meat, ice cream, tap water etc. I narrowed it down to the slices of pawpaw and pineapple they were preparing for breakfasts, probably on a filthy chopping board with dirty knives and water. I stopped eating the fruit and the problem stopped. On one ocasion though the pool bar did serve me a chicken dish that was so rank that just sniffing the first forkful made me feel ill; it was absolutely humming and I couldn’t believe the chef had actually cooked it and served it – which says a lot about food hygiene standards in Africa. Things are better at Sheraton now and I haven’t come home with shigella or anything else for several years despite becoming more adventurous with the food – except ice cream, which nearly killed me in the Karachi Sheraton – I’ve never been so ill in my life.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls