Flying Europe to USA in 2021Back to Forum
Is anybody ready to book flights from Europe to USA for later in the year 2021 in anticipation of things getting back to a good degree of normality?
We are looking at flights to the USA in August 2021.
Any thoughts?27 Dec 2020
Already have BA Rewards (Avios) flights to JFK (from LHR) booked for last week of July – booked weeks ago. There weren’t many Business Class seats left, so if that’s what you are looking for, it might be difficult.
However, there isn’t a difficulty for paying-for flights, with many airlines. Why not wait for a while and keep looking regularly to check availability?27 Dec 2020
How would anybody on this Forum be able to advise you with any degree of accuracy about what the position will be next August? You have to make your own decision, in relation to your own circumstances.
I attempted to give you a heads up regarding “rewards flights”, if that’s how you intend to book.27 Dec 2020
There will be a sense of normality by July, what ever normal may mean, as the vaccinations will have been taking place for sometime. That doesn’t mean that the virus will not be playing havoc with others.
It frustrates me when airlines say that catching Covid on a flight is highly unlikely, (but they would say that wouldn’t they) as they forget to include that one has to visit 4 airports for a return trip (assuming non stop flights) & mixing with people spreads the virus. It is impossible to know what social distancing will be in place for flights. If a flight is only 10% full, ok, but an 80% full flight would be a nightmare.
Making travel arrangements for the first half of 2021 is risky; if you’re vaccinated, that is great, otherwise we need to prepare ourselves for more of the same. Tiers of restrictions, lockdowns & restricted access to many countries, especially if their rules & regulations change at short notice.
1 user thanked author for this post.28 Dec 2020
Until the US lifts the ban on UK & EU citizens entering the US it would perhaps be foolish to make concrete plans.
I’d very much welcome being able to travel there, however until there is certainty around being allowed to, I won’t book a flight.28 Dec 2020
Bullfrog – I think it’s more than one’s own personal vaccination. If I am vaccinated then, presumably given all current evidence, I am almost completely protected, hopefully for all variants of disease. But what is not known is whether I am still a “spreader”. In time it will be known if the vaccines currently available do prevent spreading. Until then I suggest that most countries will take all the precautions necessary to protect their public. Who knows how Joe Biden’s USA will react?
The advantage of booking using Avios, from reports on this Forum, is that for (legitimately) cancelled flights the points are restored immediately and the cash layed out, which takes longer to get back, is much less. For my own USA trip in the Summer I have booked only fully cancellable (at the last minute) hotels for which I haven’t had to put down a deposit.28 Dec 2020
I have booked 3 flights to the States in 2021, all with BA
1. Travel in February, booked in October and cancelled in December: BA hadn’t taken the fare (from my credit card) and reinstated the vouchers used for part payment. No cost to me, impressed with the service
2 Travel in April 2021, booked in December, an award ticket refundable up to 24 hours before travel, hoping that my friends in Florida and my wife and myself will have been vaccinated and travel is allowed for COVID free persons. Prepared to lose the £35pp refund charge if they impose that.
3 Travel in August 2021, also booked in December, cancellable but I expect enough people will have been vaccinated to open up travel. If the parameters don’t work out for that one I will just postpone it as per BA’s change policy. This does risk having to buy a non sale ticket but I am an optimist.28 Dec 2020
Should have added, my comments were made in the context of travel to the US for business.
I have holiday travel booked for February (not to the US). Like the above posters, with BA, though via their Holidays programme, so really nothing at risk as such with this as it can be postponed for 14 months hence.28 Dec 2020
We’ve already booked 2x USA flights – LA and Vegas. Though probably the April flights won’t be possible, we’re still hopeful for Sept to Vegas. The BA cancellation and/or change arrangements are excellent and really easy to do online so we thought lets just go for it and hope for the best. Might as well have something to look fwd to and anyway we can always re-book for future dates if they don’t come off30 Dec 2020
I really would like to go back, but my former home still has high number of cases, I would have to quarantine, would not currently expect to stay with friends and the hotel I usually used is closed for the Winter as no demand. Also holiday stuff rather limited under current regimes. I think I will wait a little longer.30 Dec 2020
Ive booked a family holiday to the US for July. Its been a few years in the planning. Secured a real bargain fare on Air Portugal and am taking the view if I dont fly I will likely lose this money.
All hotels etc are changeable and can be cancelled closer the time.
My guess is its 50/50 if we can go, its very likely we will need to either have been vaccinated or to show a negative test result prior to flying.5 Jan 2021