Flying Blue Program changes at Midnight!

Back to Forum
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• MarcusGB
    Participant

How has, or will your balance change at Midnight?
    XP points will be converted according to your level, and Award Miles straight the same they say.
    Will all go smoothly?

As all will know, the FB program is set to change at Midnight tonight, 31st March 2017.
    As a Platinum Member, i am watching closely what will happen with the new “XP” numbers, awarded per flight, on this revenue based program. Those who have built up miles from Jan 1st 2018 – 31st March 2018 will have them converted, but it seems very unfair if you do not fly as often or earn during this period, compared to your year round flights.

If you take several KLM / AF Long Haul flights a year, with a start from the UK, you will benefit well it appears, as 15 XP Points as opposed to 5 for an international Europe Business flight, will give you 30 return to CDG or AMS, then add on 35 points for a flight to say Asia in Business. This could mean around 100 XP’s for a return of the 4 sectors. Platinum Members need 300 per annum to renew.

It is unclear as to the earning on Partner Airlines within Skyteam, and i have not seen First Class XP’s with partners such as Garuda yet clarified. There is some info for First of 60 points per sector, but not yet clarified for each partner Airline.

The spending and availability, will not be to our advantage i feel, it never really is when an Airline changes FFP rules! Certainly a current Worldwide 125,000 mile trip ex Europe to say Sydney or Auckland, will not be the same value in the new program. However, you can book under the old system until end of May, so you can compare this at some stage. These flight costs where there is a direct connection, are not listed!
    There is a capability to combine miles with 25% cash, based on the revenue for a flight, but on the above routes, this will vary considerably by each Airlines if reflected in the true fares. KLM/ AF stopped flights to Oceania many years ago, only Skyteam partners go that way now.

They state, that there will be a reduction in miles needed for economy fares in and around Europe, but who will use miles when you have to pay full taxes anyway?! Fares from the UK can cost as little as £75-£99 return to AMS, so why use valuable miles for these flights?

It would be interesting to see what happens with Your membership, the XP new balance tommorrow, and what your miles will buy you in future?
    I certainly would value other Members views, and a good analysis from BT in an article soon after, very helpful.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls