Flying Blue FFP changes ahead from 2016 onwards

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s just over two years since the last set of changes were seen at Flying Blue (the FFP of Air France and KLM) and now another lot will start with effect from 2016.

The news is broken by France’s lesechos.fr and is in French language.

But in short, Flying Blue will be more streamlined in future. There will be easier award redemption for Ivory members (90 per cent of members are Ivory status) while at the other end of the scale, Platinum members will receive lifetime status after ten years membership.

It appears that members in Silver and Gold will lose some of their current benefits.

The changes will start in 2016 and be spread “to the first quarter of 2018.”

http://www.lesechos.fr/journal20151228/lec2_industrie_et_services/021579826082-air-france-klm-va-profondement-modifier-son-programme-flying-blue-1187730.php#xtor=RSS-37

Dinosaur
    Participant

Based on the article it looks like silver card holders will have to wait behind Platinum and Gold prior to boarding and will also lose out on security/immigration fast track and priority baggage delivery.

No mention of Gold card holders being adversely affected.

canucklad
    Participant

Used to be quite loyal to KLM, alas and ironically Flying Blues lack of loyalty to me changed that. And I’m now in the habit of using other carriers as a first choice.

So as my old gran would have said “hell mend them”…

GenerationY
    Participant

HI Canucklad,

Although I dislike the customer service from AF. KL and FB have been great. I got paid 600€ for a flight delayed lasting more than 4 hours with only an email, on another occasion I was compensated with 300€ for a 3h delays with KLM intercontinental flight with, again an email. I don’t see another airline doing it. So for me both KL and FB have been great.

While for the changes, I guess it’s part of their cost cutting measure, however, the silver status still gives more benefits than star alliance silver. 🙂

Happy new year to all.

kweeki1
    Participant

I’m Platinum for life member of FB and had an opportunity to test the new hot-line dedicated to Platinum members. It was really great, all my problems with reservation and check-in were solved within couple of minutes.
    Compared with Exec Club I find much more availibilty of redemption tickets, especially in business class.
    All in all I think FB is a very good program, what is just missing is a partner redemption ticket as Miles&More does.

TimboTatham1
    Participant

Another kick in the teeth from KLM for loyal frequent flyers who commute between the UK and Netherlands. I am switching to CityJet from April.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

If you want loyalty, buy a dog 😉

Otherwise join the CHC Club* and redeem without any problems.

*Cold Hard Cash

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ FDOS_UK – 01/04/2016 16:22 BST

Oh, I don’t know. Our cat “Fuji” seems pretty loyal around meal times.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Having used KLM for over 20 years, i find their Customer service is honest open, and very responsive. As a Gold member, but now Platinum, the threshold of miles to retain the level is not difficult, whilst also maintaining a Gold with Etihad.

I used to use KLM/ Cityjet weekly to AMS from either LHR or LCY, and the shocking decline of Cityjet, really struck completely different experiences. Flying with them even this last week, LCY was mayhem going out, hundreds queueing to check in, baggage belt stopped, and not any seats airside, despite hundreds being added.
    The Airport just does not have the capacity for its current passengers.

If you book Cityjet, you pay for luggage etc, but booked on the KLM website, you fly as a KLM passenger luggage included as a Gold / Platinum member. Returning you have Sky Priority and lounge access, but booking direct with CJ, you will not. You also count and have a small amount of miles for your Level and spend.

They have new Bombardier Aircraft this year, but are wet leasing them to SAS on Nordic routes. Others they bare using for charters. This was documented in this month magazine i read on board yesterday. So, for the main routes, we will have the 24yr old+ RJ85’s still.

I also have found the Platinum line very useful, and they offered to monitor my bookings ahead and keep me informed. Excellent.
    At Schiphol, the KLM staff if you approach them in a balanced and good humoured manner, (as in Dutch culture), are very helpful, fun and do their utmost, and actually quite kind.

I cannot see details of Platinum or Gold changes, unless they take your Level based on revenue of your tickets. Currently, 70,000 miles once you are there, is not difficult to maintain taking 4-5 long haul Business returns, even on a Z class.

I find KLM still, in Europe one of the best and generous Airlines. Their new World Business cabins, now being finalised through the year on their 777-300 er’s, excellent.

They are profitable now, AF are not. KLM have a far younger fleet of 737-7/8/9 00’s. New Embraer 75 and 95’s, and replacing the old Fokker 70’s remaining. They have 772’s refurbished, and 773’s half completed. 787-9’s are now flowing in with the new cabins.

Their service on board i find excellent, and staff care about the “Family” of their Airline., and it comes through. Schiphol is being extended with huge investment, fit for 20 years ahead as their base.

They will still offer one of the best services and Airport bases in Europe for many years to come, and my loyalty will not fade. I simply always enjoy travel with them, and responsive when they need to be. They have an excellent well maintained new fleet of aircraft, and are well placed for the future as an excellent brand.

I cannot say the same about Air France, who unfortunately, drag KLM down financially, and do run the Flying Blue program!

TominScotland
    Participant

I have been Platinum for Life for about 10 years now and so take little notice of changes to the FB programme. I have, therefore, only just noticed one feature which is far superior to BAEC where any surplus tier miles are lost at the end of the qualifying year.

Carry over Level Miles

On 31 December of each year, all Flying Blue Elite members, who have earned Level Miles above the Miles threshold required to maintain their current membership level, will carry over the surplus of Level Miles to the next year. This also applies when a higher level is reached. Members who have not maintained their membership level will not carry over their Level Miles.

For me, another area where FB offers real value is entitlement to Economy Comfort seating when booked in Economy at no cost. While EC only adds legroom to the service, this is really what matters to me when travelling long-haul.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 01/04/2016 16:31 BST

Your Fuji sounds like our tomcat Kim (named after Kim Jong Il for his winning personality.)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

And Miles and More allow you to qualify in just one of 2 years, though no rollover of status miles unless qualifying for HON status.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls