Flyertalk BA Forum is a nasty site

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

• scotia
    Participant

[quote quote=760659]Yep, we can disagree in a friendly way on here and play the ball, not the man.[/quote]

If you really think you are a “friendly” forum, can I suggest you re-read your post and remind yourself of this before you next accuse a new poster of being a troll simply because they pointed out that you had made an incorrect statement!

I certainly haven’t found any of your posts towards me “friendly”. All I did was point out that there were flights operating by Iran Air after you had claimed they did not operate a service to the UK. Despite the fact that several other contributors supported the fact that Iran Air did still fly between LHR & IKA you continued to try to argue that I was wrong and you were right. Most adults can acknowledge when they get something wrong. Instead you say “I don’t waste my time on trolls,have a nice day”, when you could have just said “I didn’t realize they were still operating, thanks for clarifying” or something courteous like that. But your response was about as unfriendly as you can get on a web forum and I’m sure in most people’s eyes will just have made you look foolish.

I agree that Flyertalk is far from perfect, but at least on that site there is some moderation, so when posters become abusive or threads melt down, someone steps in to take control. I’m surprised that a more commercial site such as this doesn’t make much effort to moderate – mind you, since the journalists struggle to proofread their ‘professional’ content, maybe it shouldn’t surprise me 😉

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Let’s ignore the obvious trolling, folks.

icenspice
    Participant

Quite, scotia.

There are 3 or 4 posters here you just do not argue with because they are always right. Unlike MrMichael with his superb sense of humour (sorry for naming names MrM).

It’s a pity BT has made the correction under the Qeshm Air review and not the BA one.

On a last note, the 3 or 4 posters I refer to above were instrumental in getting rid of a certain prolific and excellent contributor.

BTW, you won’t find me on ft.

Best regards.

scotia
    Participant

[quote quote=761292]There are 3 or 4 posters here you just do not argue with because they are always right.[/quote]

Indeed, it seems some posters here don’t seem to like it when mere facts get in the way of their view of the world!

stevescoots
    Participant

If you are referencing a certain sparking drink, military rank, sexually confused log in name and whatever was their log in that week…. prolific I would agree, useful? not as useful as some other excellent posters consistently post the same type of info he would if you could wade through the blind brand loyalty and personal attacks he would mount on fellow posters, including myself. FDos is not to everyone tastes and I doubt he/she cares about that but fizzy drink posting keyboard warrior was just plain nasty and disruptive. That’s why he got kicked

JohnHarper
    Participant

stevescoots +1.

I remember my very first post was attacked because I questioned something about the blind brand loyalty from someone who was claiming a competitor had an inferior product which clearly they had never tried. The poster concerned stopped at nothing in terms of brand promotion including downright lies – remember the loading on the BA Malta service that had not even been launched?

So useful, no not one bit. Twisted and confused, nasty and distruptive? Absolutely and this is a better place without that poster and the various associated handles.

New posters may at times find they get short shrift here from people who’ve been around a long time especially when posts are questionable in terms of accuracy however there is such a history that we remember of rubbish being posted in the promotion of one cause that I think we are right to be wary.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

JohnH

Wasn’t your first post greeted by an accusation that you were someone else, IIRC?

JohnHarper
    Participant

DoS I think you are right – I think I was someone else because I was questioning the quality of the product in relation to others and therefore I had to be a troll and if I remember correctly anyone who behaved in such a way was automatically a troll as how could anyone question the quality of the (failing) brand. Of course time has told that those of us who questioned were right.

Mr Michael – one day we will convince you 😉

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I think MrMichael has a good handle on BA, the difference of opinion is over whether it is acceptable/has a future and I respect his view, though it is not mine.

MrMichael
    Participant

Spot on FDOS, that is precisely our difference, and likely why I have shares and you choose not to.

JohnHarper, as I said earlier, I have in the past and am sure again in the future my mind can be changed by considered opinion and or facts. I hope my mind wont be changed in the future on BA as it will continue to thrive, and perhaps BA does something in the future that changes your mind. All I want from BA is a 3 star airline turning a reasonable profit. The one thing that sometimes gets my goat is people comparing BA/LH/AF in the same sentence as if AF and LH were also giving their shareholders some value and were operating a sensible business model.

Regarding Icenspices suggestion I have a sense of humour, I refute it vigorously!

I think all this mucking about referring to what I recall was VintageKrug (will I be reported for naming?) is interesting. I came to the forum just before he left I think, pure coincidence I assure you.

What I like about this forum is what I have learnt and put in to practice. My top marks go to MartynSinclair who made me aware of ex EU fares, they that have so far saved me about 8k. For that, as requested by Martyn I will be writing a full and frank review of my train ride from New York to Providence at Xmas. After all, he helped me fund my Xmas US trip.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Martyn is one of the good guys, one of the best.

GivingupBA
    Participant

I haven’t been on this forum very long but I find it different to any other forum I’ve ever joined or read. It doesn’t descend into endless nasty personal comments/attacks – quite the opposite: I find the tone to be pleasant and congenial.

And also I find the BT forum to be VERY useful.

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=761336]he one thing that sometimes gets my goat is people comparing BA/LH/AF in the same sentence as if AF and LH were also giving their shareholders some value and were operating a sensible business model. [/quote]

I think we are looking at things from a different perspective. I don’t hold shares in any airline at this time and quite frankly couldn’t care less whether they are returning value to their shareholders or not. I am a paying passenger, usually paying F fares on long haul and I require the product be of an exemplary standard when I do that. LH & AF offer such a product, BA do not, they offer something below the standard of Qatar Business Class on a bad day when BA are at their best.

The only thing LH, AF and BA have in common is that they are large Western European airlines and in terms of geographical position dominant in their respective alliances, there it ends. As I no longer live in the UK and most of my travel is eastbound BA are really quite irrelevant to me except in so far as they represent the UK abroad and as I’ve said before I mind that they do that when they are poor in terms of service and quality. Three star they may be, is that really what the UK has either become or is aspiring to?

stevescoots
    Participant

+1 John Harper.

sure, if I owned shares in any company other than my own my thinking would be i do not care where the company posistions itself in the market as long as I get a reasonable ROI. As a consumer only then its all about VFM, I can put up with 3 star airlines when the price is 3 star

FDOS
    Participant

It’s interesting to reflect on the OP from 7 years ago – if anything, the gap has widened and BT’s Forum is a haven of mainly excellent etiquette.

Sad to see MrMichael posting – he left us a few years ago and I still miss him 🙁

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls