Flybe exits Gatwick

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

SimonS1
    Participant

So they have finally sold all their slots (25 pairs) to Easyjet and thrown in the towel in LGW.

The continuation of a sad decline really, variable reliability and a strange co-incidence of planes going tech when loads are light…..

I wonder where Easyjet will start to next. A great way of using Skywards miles.

openfly
    Participant

I am under the impression that the slots that have been sold were banked slots. I may be wrong but Flybe have not announced a closure at LGW. We might see a slight reduction n their services…..

londonlad
    Participant

SimonS1
    Participant

Check today’s press, Openfly. They are ceasing all flights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22629518

Share price has fallen 80% since flotation in December 2010.

Sounds like the type of distressed airline situation which needs a commanding figure like WW.

openfly
    Participant

Thanks SimonS1

With a total pull out from LGW there will be a lot unhappy Flybe customers, places like the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, to mention just two!

SimonS1
    Participant

Maybe Easyjet will pick these places up?

They already fly from LGW to places like Isle of Man and Inverness and in my experience a bit more reliably than Fly Maybe. However the Flybe slots with early departures were more suitable for business.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s a blow for those regional passengers who wish to interline at LGW.

Even if Easyjet were to take over some of these Flybe routes in 2014 there will be no interlining opportunities.

LGW seems to be becoming more of a point-to-point airport.

oldbold
    Participant

Their slots are not particularly early:
    Here are the first few LGW slots
    NCL Newcastle BE 461  7:55 AM BE 462 8:30 AM
    GCI Guernsey BE 900  8:05 AM BE 903 8:45 AM
    JER Jersey BE 930  8:05 AM BE 933 8:50 AM
    BHD Belfast BE 961  8:20 AM BE 962 8:55 AM
    IOM Isle Of ManBE 271  8:20 AM BE 373 8:55 AM

My sister has a 5:50 AM flight out soon. That is early.

Shearer
    Participant

EasyJet are pushing their business friendly services and Inverness is the jewel of the ragbag of destinations – train competition lacking due to journey time, and the only competitors currently are FlyBe and EZY.

I think BA will seriously consider a return to INV (from LHR).

AMcWhirter
    Participant

With the route cuts, Flybe will have less work for its existing fleet.

Maybe that’s why it’s deferring future aircraft deliveries.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/flybe-to-defer-half-its-embraer-deliveries-386280/

JohnHarper
    Participant

How come these slots are so valuable?

Only a couple of weeks ago when another poster raised the issue of LGW being slot constrained and pointed out the BA could not expand at will there, Krug, as ever popped up and told us all that LGW was not slot constrained and that BA had unlimited growth potential there.

Now, if these slots have been sold for £20M and the airport is not slot constrained, Easyjet have been ripped off.

Or was Krug making it up as usual?

SimonS1
    Participant

oldbold – 23/05/2013 14:14 GMT

Yes not early in your sense, but if you are on a day trip for business an arrival in say IOM before 9am for a first meeting at 9.30am is perfectly OK.

NIRscot – 23/05/2013 14:18 GMT

I think that is a bit of a harsh judgement. I live about 20 mins from LGW and can get to the following on Easyjet – IOM, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Madrid, Lisbon, Milan, Moscow, Munich, Geneva, Zurich. I would hardly say that is a ragbag of destination, a real bonus that I don’t need to trolley into Heathrow. In fact I didn’t realise until I looked how many places they now fly to.

travelsforfun
    Participant

JohnHarper – 23/05/2013 15:54 GMT

LGW in general has slot availability – and this applies for the majority of the traffic day – but the main exception is the morning peak when slots are like gold dust.

Shearer
    Participant

SimonS1

I think you misunderstand my point.
    Perhaps ‘ragbag’ was a tad harsh, but I was talking about FlyBE’s Gatwick destinations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls