Flybe cancellations for operational reasons

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

It appears that flybe are cancelling a significant number of flights today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47797738

Does EC261 apply to domestic flights in the UK? If it does, this could be quite expensive for the airline.

capetonianm
    Participant

Flights within the UK are within the EU and covered by 261.

JER GCI IOM might possibly be treated differently although I think 261 applies equally even though they are not EU.

Flymaybe back to their old tricks.

capetonianm
    Participant

This January, one employee was moved to send an email accusing the firm’s directors of ruining a profitable company.

The employee, a senior pilot, addressed the email to Flybe’s chief executive, Christine Ourmieres-Widener.

“Congratulations, in two years at Flybe you and your fellow incompetent cohorts have managed to totally destroy a viable airline which was making profits when you took over,” he wrote.

I couldn’t agree more.

2 users thanked author for this post.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

It’s the sort of ‘job suicide note’ that we all wish we’d sent at some point. 🙂

capetonianm
    Participant

I have done so, more than once. Each sacking has led to a subsequent better opportunity and satisfaction.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Flybabyfly
    Participant

They cancelled these flights due to pilot shortage!

TominScotland
    Participant

The BT team are usually on the ball with disruptions like this (Heathrow Express, Eurostar etc.). Oddly, nothing reported by BT on flybe today – as I am due to travel with them tomorrow, is there any ‘inside’ information that can be added – for example, how long will these disruptions continue? If they are indeed caused by pilot shortages, could passengers have been given more notice?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=927506]The BT team are usually on the ball with disruptions like this (Heathrow Express, Eurostar etc.). Oddly, nothing reported by BT on flybe today – as I am due to travel with them tomorrow, is there any ‘inside’ information that can be added –[/quote]

Hello Tom,

This is all we know so far. There may be changes announced later … see the video by the CEO within the copy below.

I would expect there to be more changes made for when the winter schedules commence.

Flybe cancels flights for “operational reasons”

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

[quote quote=927467]They cancelled these flights due to pilot shortage![/quote]

You would think that in this day and age someone would have a handle on how many pilots they have working for them – and how many of their pilots have asked for annual leave. Surely, something, somewhere would have triggered a warning on file to say, “You don’t have enough pilots!” At least some time before yesterday – not a matter of 11/12 hours in some cases!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=927720]You would think that in this day and age someone would have a handle on how many pilots they have working for them[/quote]

Flybe has been cancelling flights for months and giving excuses like “crew sickness” and more recently “operational reasons.”

I always thought the former excuse to be strange.

After all how many flights do major carriers like BA, Virgin Atlantic, SIA, KLM or Swiss have to cancel owing to “crew sickness.”

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

When I used to travel a lot to and from the Channel Islands, they used to consolidate flights that had poor loads.

A poor excuse of an airline.

pheighdough
    Participant

Watching the developments over the past couple of days, and adding to what I have written on FlyBe via the other Phoenix post I think we are starting to witness what has been commented on and reported on in the past.

Before the recent take over FlyBe was a large carrier with a large fleet of Q400s and a number of E-Jets. The discussion focussed on possible base closures and a consolidation of routes and fleet.

We are now seeing this starting to occur. I think the end result (by start of winter season 2019?) will be a slimmed down airline as we have all surmised, the E-Jets will go in their entirety and there will be a core fleet of circa 50 Q400s.

What has been very poorly handled is the commencement of the transition from current to future operating models, and that is what we have seen over the past couple of days. I cannot believe how badly this has been handled by FlyBe, and I think they did not expect the fallout they experienced, otherwise I would like to think they would have put PR mitigation measures in place. Truly dreadful and I feel for the staff losing their jobs or moving bases to keep employed.

The final result? This will be the feeder service for Virgin/Delta/Air France/KLM at their key hubs, regional routes to keep the UK running but at a vastly reduced frequency, and flying those routes that offer subsidies to do so.

I don’t think this current chapter of the story has finished yet and I can see some more news coming out soon on routes and bases, but in the interim I’m keeping a close eye.

On a personal level I need to fly to Glasgow soon, normally I would fly SOU-GLA, but in the current climate I think I’ll trek to LHR ‘just in case’

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls