Flybe: Ash aims?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

flybe was orginally Jersey European, owned by Jack Walker of WalkerSteel.

It changed branding to British European in 2000 to disassociate itself from the Jersey-specific heritage and joined the dotcom era in 2002 abbreviating to flybe, and in 2006 absorbed the Manx Airlines element of the SMB controlled Airlines of Britain Group (originally a JV between Air UK, bmi and BA, including Manx Airlines) as well as the BA regional operation which had been through several guises but by that stage sailed under the awful and mercifully short lived BA Connect brand.

flybe is still 15% owned by British Airways.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I stand graciously corrected, VK.

Where do Birmingham European fit in with this as I’m 99% sure that they morphed into, or were absorbed by Jersey European, as the former also used the acronym BE in their last few years.

Simon

PaulJennings
    Participant

Birmingham European Airways are unrelated. Started in 1983 as Birmingham Executive Airways serving European business routes to and from BHX and in 1992 merged into Brymon Airways.

And on the original subject of Maybe, I concur with the general sentiment. Years of experience have taught me to dislike and distrust them.

PaulJennings
    Participant

Birmingham European Airways are unrelated. Started in 1983 as Birmingham Executive Airways serving European business routes to and from BHX and in 1992 merged into Brymon Airways.

And on the original subject of Maybe, I concur with the general sentiment. Years of experience have taught me to dislike and distrust them.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Just had a phone call from someone I know at BHX – Brymon went largely into BA. The Birmingham European element didn’t and was picked up by Maersk (NOT the Danish airline, I am told, but the shipping arm). This then was then eventually subjected to a management buy-out to form Duo. Duo in turn went belly-up.

Glad I got that one clear in my mind…….

KakapoTheParrot
    Participant

Well, having found a forum where there are people who know Flybe well, does anyone have any sensible suggestions as to how I get my money back from them for a canceled flight?

As I said, I’ve contacted the Air Transport Users Council now but they only seem to work 4 days a week. They suggest that if the complaint is anything that involves “correspondence with the airline” their process can take 5-6 weeks and even they they have no statutory powers. By that stage it will be getting very late to start County Court proceedings.

ivornomates
    Participant

euclaim.com very good indeed

continentalclub
    Participant

A follow-up email to flybe yesterday, advising them that I would pursue a claim for the witheld amount if a refund was not forthcoming within 7 days, has this morning elicited a very prompt response:

Dear Mr C Club.

I apologise, I have reviewed this with my supervisor and I have refunded you a further £24.00 back onto your original card that made the payment.

Better late than never, and I’m grateful despite the delay (and the dismal English). ;-).

KakapoTheParrot
    Participant

It gets even more crazy. I’ve got a response from Customer Relations at Flybe. They tell me that because I bought the tickets through a travel agent I have to get them to refund the money. We bought the tickets from the Flybe desk at Malaga. If that was a travel aganet we had no idea.
    On the day the flight was canceled we queued for 3 hours at the same desk to be told to go away and email <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected]. We had no reason to think this wasn’t the thing to do.

Really think we’re losing this one now ;-(

Not sure I’d ever want to buy a ticket at an airport again.

If anyone knows, or can find, the phone number of the Flybe desk there I’d be grateful!

ivornomates
    Participant

KakapoTheParrot
    Participant

Well, having found the phone number of the Flybe desk at Malaga airport and spoken to the lady who actually sold us the tickets, it seems Customer Relations at Flyby haven’t got a clue. The desk is run by a ticket, not a travel, agent. They do not handle refunds. It’s down to Flybe to contact their accounts department to arrange the refund. She knew how the process works, even if Flybe’s Customer Relations don’t.

This may explain the lack of a refund – it’s going to need a bit of effort on Flybe’s part to sort out the refund. It’s not in their interest to do this because why would a company make an effort to return money to someone who was in the end never (and believe me, never will be) a customer?

The latest response has also change the message about a response “within 28 days” to “within 28 working days”. I also get the feeling that Customer Relations don’t want to talk to me any more. They must be an awful company to work for.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Kakapotheparrot – a quicker solution, go to your local county court and issue a summons and send a copy to the local press and FLYBE legal department. That should get their attention. (you can also add amount for your costs). Last time i used this strategy, i had payment within 72 hours.

I think you can also complete this all on line.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls