Flight review Air Asia X – Premium Class, Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• raipol49
    Participant

Air Asia X
    Aircraft: Air Bus 330-300
    Flights D7 214 – Premium Class
    Kuala Lumpur – Melbourne

BACKGROUND:
    My wife and I arrived in Kuala Lumpur on an Air Asia flight from Ho Chi Minh. Unfortunately the HCM check in agent was unable to check our luggage through for our connecting flight to MEL. According to her, this was due to the different booking references for both flights. This was somewhat disappointing. However, we had a 3 ½ hours layover in KUL which gave us just enough time to go through immigration, customs and check in again.

For the flight to MEL we booked Premium Flatbed which comes with 40kg luggage allowance, 1 meal, xcite entertainment, priority luggage and free pillow, duvet and 7kg hand luggage.

CHECK-IN Kuala Lumpur:
    Air Asia and Air Asia X are using KLIA 2, which is an enormous facility. After clearing immigration and customs from our previous flight we experienced difficulty in locating the appropriate check-in counter. On locating the Air Asia check-in counter, we were then informed premium passengers check in a different location, not displayed on the general check-in board.
    Finally, on arrival at the correct counter, check- in was speedy and smooth and the staff were friendly. Although we checked in on line (as Air Asia requires) a boarding pass is issue only at the counter. This is due to the fact that the check- in staff has to check passports and visa in order to allow us to travel.

THE LOUNGE IN KUL:
    On clearing security and immigration (there is no fast track for the premium passengers) we were fortunate that a cart driver approached and offered to drive us to the lounge. We then realized how far we would have had to walk if we had declined the transport. The terminal is very huge and there are no travelators. One has to traverse the bridge to get to the outer piers where the A330s are docked and the lounge situated.

The Lounge is minimalistic as expected from a LCC. It is relatively small and dark. Food was available in the form of sandwiches and local dishes. The chicken curry was good. As far as drinks go only water and soft drinks are free. Only a few newspapers and magazines were available. There are no boarding calls.

BOARDING:
    There was quite a long walk from the lounge to the boarding gate. Here after a few minutes wait we had priority boarding as premium passengers. Once on board we were shown our seats and a glass of orange juice or water was offered.
    The aircraft pushed back on time for the 22.30hrs departure

THE SEAT:
    The aircraft is configured with 3 rows in a 2-2-2 lay-out. We chose the middle seats in the second row, 2D and 2E. The seat is actually an angled flatbed. Blanket and pillow were on the seat as well as a bottle of water. There was little storage space.
    The cabin looked clean and well looked after.
    Out of the 12 seats available 7 were taken up.

THE FLIGHT:
    Once the plane had reached cruising height the cabin crew came around and asked whether we wanted our meal now or as breakfast. We opted for breakfast after having eaten in the lounge. We also received an i-pad which was loaded with various films, TV programs and some music. All in all the programs were very limited. The headphones we received at the same time were not noise cancelling.
    Eye shades and ear plugs have to be purchased, although none were in stock. Luckily we had some reserves with us.

Since we had a late night departure we watched some of the entertainment on the i-pad and then prepared to sleep. We slept well after we found a suitable angle for our seat.

Approx. 2 hrs before landing in Melbourne we had our meal, Nasi Lemak which was just edible. No coffee or any other drinks unless you pay.
    The crew was very friendly throughout.

ARRIVAL IN MEL:
    We arrived on time and cleared immigration and customs very quickly. Following immigration our luggage, marked as priority also arrived shortly.

VERDICT:
    It was an experience since we had never flown on a long haul LCC before. Everything was very minimalistic and not comparable to any legacy carrier. Cabin service by nature was very limited.
    However, we rested well on this 8 hour flight which was important to us.

We booked 3 months in advance and paid MYR 3.622 for the two tickets. This is approx. GPB 340 per person. I think it was a bargain for an overnight flight with an angled bed. Malaysia Airlines, the only competitor on this route is far more expensive.

In spite of the shortcomings compared to other premium classes would we do it again? YES.

Jetcruiser
    Participant

Thanks for the detailed report!

TimothyTanks
    Participant

Seemed reasonably good for the price of the tickets. Worth considering as an option if I have to fly from KL to Melbourne. I’m based in Singapore so KL is not that far away for me.

Much thanks for the great review.

K1ngston
    Participant

TimothyTanks, you have Scoot on the doorstep why would you fly to KL to get AirAsia?? I have flown both airlines to Gold Coast and Melbourne respectively and there is little difference in the service, I think Scoot may just shave it and it here in Singapore ( I am also based in SG)

TimothyTanks
    Participant

I totally forgot about Scoot! I usually flew via SQ but am looking for alternative options just in case. It’s a Plan B of sorts. With Scoot also in the picture, I now have more options.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have flown this exact route also with Air Asia X. It seems to be half the price than leaving Australia paying in AUD $ also, if you take a one way.
    I certainly did not mind paying for the few drinks and extra food i had, which was given to me in one amount at the end of the flight, approx £15.
    It is always advisable to book well in advance to get the reduced Saver X Seat fare. Then it does not matter what Airline you connect with, but also give an opportunity to stop over in KL, even one night at the former Pan Pacific, now called Sama Sama, at the main KL T1.

Scoot was an awful experience, and did not have a flat bed, and the whole Aircraft appeared very cramped. They appear to have a far lesser reputation for overall experience, reliability, and the awkward times they leave during the night time, for many flights.
    Malaysian Airlines, you may well pay this for an Economy seat.
    Good value if you can get them with Air Asia X and book well in advance.

i certainly would use them again for a 1- way into Australia, but they do charge far more ex Australia…

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Thanks very much for the detailed report, I am looking at flying with Air Asia X in March from MEL to KUL, interesting it is an angled lie-flat, that steers me more towards a daytime flight as I’m not good at sleeping in angle beds.

Thanks again.
    Rgds.
    AOTG.

Edited to add costs in the photo – slam dunk Air Asia X !!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls