Flight KL 809 to Kuala Lumpur diverts to Phuket

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Another mobile phone incident caused a KLM flight bound for Kuala Lumpur to make a diversion to Phuket (Thailand).

Cause of the smoke onboard was a passenger’s mobile phone which had overheated.

Because the crew were then out of hours, passengers had to be accommodated at hotels in Phuket.

Although KL809 will be continuing to Kuala Lumpur as soon as possible the delay means that the tags Kuala Lumpur-Jakarta-Kuala Lumpur have been cancelled.

https://news.klm.com/statement-flight-kl-809-amsterdam-to-kuala-lumpur/

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder whether the airline will release the mobile phone mfg… or whether the battery was the original or a 3rd party make.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Someone I know of has the Note that caused many of the problems and are now banned on flights. He never had any problems relating to overheating, or anything else, nor could he be bothered to go to the hassle of changing it as he bought in Singapore and tried to change it in Switzerland but they said “No” as not bought here.

He travels everywhere with it, including the US and UK, and only once was he asked in CDG which phone it was and he replied the S6 and nothing more was asked or said. He even uses it on the plane and not once has been challenged by the crew.

Consequently I wonder how vigilant security are and if they even know which phone is which?

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=866282]Someone I know of has the Note that caused many of the problems and are now banned on flights. He never had any problems relating to overheating, or anything else, nor could he be bothered to go to the hassle of changing it as he bought in Singapore and tried to change it in Switzerland but they said “No” as not bought here.

He travels everywhere with it, including the US and UK, and only once was he asked in CDG which phone it was and he replied the S6 and nothing more was asked or said. He even uses it on the plane and not once has been challenged by the crew.

Consequently I wonder how vigilant security are and if they even know which phone is which?[/quote]

I thought Samsung brought out a software update that was very hard to avoid that made the battery only charge to 50%, effectivly making the phone useless.

I have an old Note 5 dual sim that I travel with and use with a local sim and as a hotspot for my other phone. I have had it taken examined a few times for model type and had to show them the hardware page to show its not the Note 7

Edski777
    Participant

I may have missed some information, but where is it stated that the culprit is a Samsung Note7? KLM has not given any details of the make or model in any of their communications so far.
    And I have not seen any answer posted to Martyn’s question.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls