Flight change by the airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• nmtraveller
    Participant

I have booked a one way flight with LOT. The original booking was a direct flight to LCY. Instead my new booking:
    – will connect in WAW
    – will arrive in LHR
    – will depart at the same time but arrive 2h45mn later than planned given the above.

The flight is in more than 30 days. Does anybody know what my options are? The email from LOT didn’t suggest any other than accepting the changes. I would like a full refund and rebook but given the current mess it is impossible to contact anyone at the airlines or booking agent…

canucklad
    Participant

Hi nmtraveller
    It really depends on what’s driving LOT’s decision to cancel , and what type of ticket you’ve got.
    I’d expect that if this whole Corona thing keeps escalating at the rate it is, you’ll find that LOT might be making even further changes to scheduled flights.
    And with those changes, and again taking into account your ticket type you’re more likely to find your options increasing.

So far BA have been great . Very transparent with their cancellations and changes regarding my flight to HK, and more importantly what I’m able to do . Hopefully LOT will be the same

SimonS1
    Participant

Actually – no it doesn’t depend on either the cause or the ticket type. LOT is an EU carrier and under EC261 the matter of ‘exceptional circumstances’ does not come into play when dealing with cancellations.

EC261 is quite clear on what the options are when a flight is cancelled. They are a choice of the following.

1. A full refund within 7 days
    2. Re-routing at the earliest opportunity to your destination
    3. Re-routing at later date that suits you

There is no cash compensation payable as you were advised 30+ days in advance.

It appears they have automatically followed option 2, and a 2h45m delay is not the end of the world, however you are perfectly within your rights to cancel and request a refund.

nmtraveller
    Participant

Thanks SimonS1 that’s helpful – exactly the info I needed to move forward.

I agree 2h45mn is not the end of the world (albeit not insignificant for a short European weekend trip) but the extra connection in Warsaw and different airport arrival is an extra stress I don’t need. Especially considering I am still able to rebook a direct and more convenient flight with a different airline at a similar cost than my original booking. Hopefully I will be able to talk to someone but at least I know where I stand re options.

canucklad
    Participant

Yeah, I worded my response pretty badly — Cheers Simon for the clarification
    What I was getting at was your current ability to negotiate would be dependant on fare type
    But, as Simon says they’ve been clever getting in under the 3 hours

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

BA have done something similar for me. 24 March I was booked on BA flight from WAW to LHR departing 12h45, was changed to a BA flight, same date but leaving at 19H30 I could accept, cancel with refund, or chose other flights although everytime I tried to see what other options existed the system said technical fault. I ended up accepting the change as at least it is the same day, and I am connecting on a flight the next day in the afternoon. I guess BA are consolidating flights.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=993192][/postquote]

No, that isn’t true. “Ability to negotiate” is not determined in any way by ticket type. In fact there is no negotiation at all. The options I set out are the same regardless of the type of ticket and the reason for the cancellation.

openfly
    Participant

KLM have announced freedom to change with no charge on all its flights. A good move.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Hi openfly.

KLM have had this in plasce for some weeks, but it states that you must re-book. to complete travel, before 31st May.
    I tried this with a Far East Biz booking, and would have been charged £350 extra on top of the rather expensive fare already paid.

Luckily for me, AF have a different Policy, and i had booked on their website, going out with AF, returning with KLM.
    I believe it is policy of both Airlines to offer a credit voucher, but with KLM this is difficult to find in their updates.

I would highly advise, with so many Airlines call centres being flooded with calls, that those with a higher Gold or Elite status with their Airline / Alliance, contact via their Membership lines, rather than the ticketing call centres. These, despite being overrun, (certainly for KLM) prioritise your registered number as you call through, and they know it is you. But even this was not effective, being cut off.
    It seems most Airlines are inundated at this time, of course to be expected.

Going through to the FFP Membership line, i was answered right away, and addressed by name, as it comes through as Priority and you membership is recognised but your contact phone registered with them. My credit was processed for the full value of the ticket to be used within a year, over a £2,000 value, no deductions. This is not small amount of money to have lost.
    Well done AF/KLM Platinum line.

I would encourage all other BT members, to try use their status not only to get through, but offer outright to take a credit from the Airline, for future travel.
    This seems an equal way to go forwards for both parties.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=993225]I would encourage all other BT members, to try use their status not only to get through, but offer outright to take a credit from the Airline, for future travel.
    This seems an equal way to go forwards for both parties.[/quote]

But this is very misleading in relation to OP’s specific question.

If your flight has been cancelled by the airline there is no requirement to take a credit note.

If the flight is still operating but the traveller wants to change/cancel that is a different matter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls