Flight BA762 LHR – Oslo emergency landing

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 132 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

My issue with BA, isn’t that they cancelled flights…they clearly needed to….

To me it seems that this is always their first option, as I’ve mentioned to death before this post, whenever “ an incident” occurs it’s not too long before their whole short haul operation is shutdown….

I’m not an airline logistics planner, but the amount of cancelled flights always seems disproportionate to “the offending incident”

For that very reason BMI was always my airline of choice….I was never left stranded….how many BA regular users can say the same ?

craigwatson
    Participant

If BA were found to be at fault, they would have to pay compensation for delayed passengers of their own, but not for other airlines/airport, as they can rightly argue that Heathrow should have enough fire services to deal with both runways, even when cover has already been dispatched to one runway.

SimonS1
    Participant

It wouldn’t have made much difference. One runway open = 50% capacity = flights cancelled.

pdtraveller
    Participant

I’m not an airline logistics planner, but the amount of cancelled flights always seems disproportionate to “the offending incident”

Canucklad

I am not a planner either however it seems that rather than being disproportionate to the incident the level of cancellations is never enough!

It could be argued that from a passenger perspective it is better to under promise and over deliver but with BA they always seems to over promise and then under deliver.

The consequence of not cutting the entire short haul operation was that long haul passengers were subsequently delayed also, in some case over night on board.

BA can do nothing about LHR having just 2 runways and operating at 99% capacity (aside from support a new airport – which it does not) but it does control its own operations.

I would prefer the certainty of cancellations and the smooth resumption of flying the following day against the scenes of chaos and huge queues not to mention the knock on effects of aircraft and crew who are out of place.

It is vital that BA runs its long haul flights but short haul should be held at origin or return there whenever possible. Passengers can be dispersed from point of origin on other carriers or accommodated. It must surely be easier and more convenient to do so for a short haul flight at an outstation than for many thousands at disrupted LHR.

There is little that can be done for long haul inbound passengers who are to transit onto short haul, but again it must be easier to deal with these passengers if it were clear what was operating and what was not.

It should also be remembered that BA would have been forced to cancel whoever had caused the incident be it Heathrow Airport, Virgin, Lufthansa or whoever.

SimonS1
    Participant

pdtraveller – 04/06/2013 11:37 GMT
    “BA can do nothing about LHR having just 2 runways and operating at 99% capacity”

I know we had a separate thread about it but BA running half empty A319s to Leeds Bradford 3x a day isn’t exactly helping maximise use of capacity (as an example).

“Passengers can be dispersed from point of origin on other carriers or accommodated”

Except that following the events at LHR there wasn’t enough accomodation this side of Brighton hence Y passengers apparently kept on planes overnight. And with say other airlines having lower frequencies plus their own passengers already booked plus also being delayed the changes of dispersing people that way are remote.There would have been more chance of finding hotels outside of the UK.

BigDog.
    Participant

BA are heading for a PR disaster by trying to wrangle out of paying compensation. Imo, there is a fair chance they would lose the final decision in the European Courts anyway. By dragging it out for months/years there will be a continual drip of bad publicity and bad feeling for thousands (mostly BA pax) for a long while. Is it worth it?

It is now obvious the cause was not a natural disaster, it was unfortunate human error where BA are front and centre culpable. Thank goodness there were no serious injuries let alone fatalities – which had been the case in a previous similar incident.

BA’s behaviour further demonstrates that having such a well protected, dominant position at LHR means they merely rest on their laurels. Slot constrained LHR guarantees BA custom, so neither ethics nor loyalty to their customers are a priority. Shame.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2013/06/ba-refuses-compensation-despite-maintenance-failures–321660/

Their best course of action is to provide compensation post haste, endeavour to rebuild much needed customer loyalty and remove the spotlight from the questionable safety aspects.

SimonS1
    Participant

It has “class action” written all over it.

esselle
    Participant

Did anybody else pick up a recent news article about a BA plane being delayed because the crew had been kept awake at their hotel by a wedding party, and had to catch a few extra hours sleep?

Will those unfortunate pax who were delayed for, I think, four hours, be able to make a claim?

canucklad
    Participant

I believe they had to be replaced……the flight originated in ABZ……not sure it destination ……..

Hi pdtraveller…..I’m not moaning about BA cancelling flights, it’s the nature of the beast that SOME flights will need to be cancelled…..

But to always take what I would call the most drastic of action and abandon a full schedule suggests …..Finance Director Decision making rather than Customer Service Director decision making…….

VintageKrug
    Participant

It does not have “class action” written all over it what a ridiculous post.

BigDog.
    Participant

You are correct @Simon 05/06/2013 10:03 GMT, although Europe is not known for class actions BA have been at the receiving end of various ones ranging from lost luggage to cargo price fixing.

Whether it is in Europe or the US, if BA continues to drag its feet and not take the honourable, sensible path, passengers will be forming groups to seek compensation through the courts – a class action.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

May be a PR disaster, but I am more interested where the blame is and who is ultimately responsible for checking all hatches and doors are closed and locked, ground engineer or Captain…

superchris
    Participant

Agree with a number of folk here, BA just need to pay the compensation and kill the story, else this will run and run and do them far more reputational damage than it has already.

BA major on their proud safety record, so need this to go away very quickly in my opinion.

superchris
    Participant

also, would love to know why no passengers on flight highlighted to the crew that these flaps were open as presumably they could be seen clearly from the cabin.

goalie11
    Participant

Good one superchris, blame the passengers, that should help cut the compensation costs.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls