Fleet Renewals

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Johnnyg
    Participant

With most airlines now grounding their fleets and some airlines taking the opportunity to retire their aircraft early etc, I wonder how many will be looking at renewed / new / less routing in the future and amending new orders or sending aircraft back to leasing companies early.

I can imagine that some leasing companies will have a glut of aircraft available before the autumn period.

It certainly can’t help the sales teams at Airbus and Boeing.

Thoughts?

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I imagine pretty much every airline in the world will be focussing on surviving right now. And nothing else.

6 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

This could also see the end of the Queen of the skies. Few airlines operate the 747 as it is. Most of those that do will now park her up and likely bring forward scrapping.

I would NOT want to be EK right now with 140-odd A380’s to fill!

5 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

However the oil price is super low, and once this is over, and with there likely being less competitors, demand will return, and capacity will be needed. People will want to travel, have holidays, do business and see friends, family and lovers etc.

But governments need to help out big time and provide support…

3 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I have just been looking at Fligtradar24 and of the just 13 aircraft within 100 n miles of HKG,just landed or about to depart 10 of them are 747 freighters.
    It looks like the future for the Queen of the Skys is assured – carrying freight instead of paxs.

3 users thanked author for this post.

TupeloKid
    Participant

[postquote quote=993682][/postquote]

If the oil price is low and demand will return, why should airlines need or deserve a government bail-out (say, in preference to many thousands of SMEs)?

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=993678][/postquote]

I think I would rather be working for EK which has an owner with deep pockets than for some of the other airlines.

Short term pain but the market will return. It’s who can survive the interim period.

alainboy56
    Participant

@SimonS1

I am very interested to know who you think is the owner of EK and if as you say, they have deep pockets, it also appears to me over the past 2 years or so, that they have also very short arms.
    But overall I agree with you, they will survive and very much so.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=993861][/postquote]

EK is owned through one of the Government of Dubai holding vehicles.

alainboy56
    Participant

@SimonS1

Ahhhhh but that’s the official line, and you know our gulf friends – to keep one’s face is always far more important than the truth

BPP
    Participant

It maybe does help with the issue of the 737 Max delays.
    BPP

IanFromHKG
    Participant

It does seem likely that the backlog of orders for both Airbus and Boeing (and the other smaller manufacturers) will shorten, which will probably be good for the entire world as older and less fuel-efficient aircraft are retired.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Sad times in a way as both Quantas and KLM both flew their last commercial routes with the 747 today, Quantas doing Santiago to Sydney and KLM routing Mexico to AMS.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls