First World Problems :-)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We’ll find out, I guess.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

GivingupBA
    [quote quote=870137]The Internet was of course a very different place 22 years ago.[/quote]

It’s amazing how we have largely forgotten life ‘pre-net’, isn’t it?

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

whenever I have used wifi onboard (various airlines) it has always been expensive (i note the comment above about multiple logins), slow, unreliable and generally a bit rubbish (I wouldn’t rely on it to send that important email)

FDOS, surprised you can remember your first personal address, I can’t, must have been circa 1999 / 2000 (although I had at work prior to that (internal only at first))

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just slightly continuing the drift, I also had one of those numerical email addresses at Compuserve (which still seems to exist). I then had a Netscape one and a Yahoo one which is now the one I primarily use. Dial up modems, going to make a tea while a file downloaded, paying for an email address and a browser, oh how we have moved on.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=870153]GivingupBA

It’s amazing how we have largely forgotten life ‘pre-net’, isn’t it?[/quote]

Yes, it really is. Even more amazing to me is how society has now come to completely rely on computers to run – with most people not realizing how complete the reliance is: I was surprised to read an article saying that if they all shut down (e.g. after an EMP strike) we’ve all had it because they run food deliveries, health care, utilities, banking and a thousand other things. The article said it’s impossible to go back and run things again as they were run in the 1950s.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870252]
    FDOS, surprised you can remember your first personal address, I can’t, must have been circa 1999 / 2000 (although I had at work prior to that (internal only at first))[/quote]

TBH, I can’t remember the address, just the format 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870295]

GivingupBA

It’s amazing how we have largely forgotten life ‘pre-net’, isn’t it?

Yes, it really is. Even more amazing to me is how society has now come to completely rely on computers to run – with most people not realizing how complete the reliance is: I was surprised to read an article saying that if they all shut down (e.g. after an EMP strike) we’ve all had it because they run food deliveries, health care, utilities, banking and a thousand other things. The article said it’s impossible to go back and run things again as they were run in the 1950s.[/quote]

That is an alarming article, but unfortunately probably true. I can remember how to do things manually (in most cases), but people who have grown up, been educated in and worked in the IT driven society, through no fault of their own, cannot.

After AI becomes prevalent, I fear for the future of the world.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=870097]I remember getting my first email account in 1994[/quote]

1996 for me, at Christmas.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am wondering what will happen when the cloud becomes overloaded, what will the next data storage solution be…. (I can hear you all screaming, impossible, the cloud cant get overloaded…)

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

Martyn – when clouds get overloaded it rains, seriously I saw a programme / news article whereby data can be stored in DNA strings (I don’t fully understand it but it sounded cool)

ThomasCox
    Participant

[quote quote=870081]She looked incredulous and said it was ridiculous they didn’t put it in when the planes were built. I couldn’t help but smile when I said, I don’t think that internet was invented when this plan[/quote]

I’m reminded of the charming American gentleman sat next to me in 1F coming into LHR from FCO a year or two back. On passing Windsor Castle he turned and asked me, ‘Why did they build it so close to Heathrow?’

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870329]I am wondering what will happen when the cloud becomes overloaded, what will the next data storage solution be…. (I can hear you all screaming, impossible, the cloud cant get overloaded…)[/quote]

Synthetic DNA. Sounds like a April Fool’s, doesn’t it?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-dna-storage-breakthrough-could-pave-way-for-exabyte-drives/

nevereconomy
    Participant

Lack of Wi-Fi does not bother me at all, but all these yellow smiley faces certainly do !

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=870381]Lack of Wi-Fi does not bother me at all, but all these yellow smiley faces certainly do ![/quote]

When text is written it can often be misconstrued. I think this is the reason that sometimes posters get agitated with each other. If the same comments had been the spoken word, then the tone of the voice would have enabled the listener to grasp the intent with which the comment is made. Using a smiley face, helps with getting across the message more clearly. It can mean I am joking, being playfully sarcastic, I found it funny or it made me smile. It certainly takes the serious edge off a comment.

If I read your comment, I don’t know if you are joking or you are being serious???? (I could have put a smiley face after that, but if you are actually serious, felt best not to). If you were joking, then my explanation is not necessary.

Andrew
    Participant

In-flight Internet is often expensive because the technology behind delivering it is expensive. Whether free or not, there are many factors that impact paxex. There’s always Skymall. Oh wait…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls