First View of BA’s New WT+ Premium Economy Seating

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Here is an artist’s impression of the new WT+ seating, to be rolled out aboard the first of six new 777-300ERs being delivered from 4 September, and likely to be on the Chicago and Delhi routings for its first few flights:

http://a.imageshack.us/img820/1046/wtplus.jpg

Note the increased space between the seats, which should produce a more differentiated experience from WT.

They are apparently being designed by Recaro, so likely to resemble the Qantas PE seat, though note the strange footstool arrangement – that could be rather good if you can actually rest your feet properly.

And of course the improved Thales IFE should be super-duper.

JordanD
    Participant

A few things.

First of all, thanks for sharing – on the basis of how ‘close to the real deal’ your pictures of the new First were, I’m definitely intrigued. Could you point towards the document that those pictures appear in?

As for routings, other sites (Airliners.net) show detailed routings of it being in operations 6 days/week with Chicago, Delhi, Dubai (2) & Mumbai (2) receiving rotations. Once the second aircraft is delivered in time for the W10 schedules, it is suggested that Mumbai & Chicago will each have the 777-300ER daily.

As for Thales IFE – after the botched upgrade to the latest IFE, I’ll await to see what Thales implementation is like! Are the oldest 777s (i.e. those who haven’t been upgraded to AVOD) going to get these new seats & Thales?

simmy700
    Participant

The 777’s that currently do not offer the latest version of IFE (the latest being the AVOD) will be upgraded to the Thales system. This will be done when those aircraft are fitted with the new First product. All aircraft that are currently fitted with the AVOD will stay with the AVOD.

The reason why the AVOD system had/has so many problems is because it was a software upgrade using shall I say not very compatable hardware!.

The Thales system should be problem free from the start as it is a complete new system. So fingers crossed anybody travelling with the new IFE will have an IFE problem flight!……..Good Luck!

VintageKrug
    Participant

World Traveller+

38 Inch Pitch
    8 Inch recline
    Hammock Style Headrest
    Softer Seat Foams and laminated seat covers
    Bi-fold table in arm rest
    Larger cocktail table
    Power socket UK/US/EU socket
    10.6 inch screen
    2 usb ports and 1 rca
    Noise cancelling headsets

World Traveller (Economy)

31 inch pitch
    5 inch recline
    Hammock style headrest
    Softer seat foams and laminated seat cover
    Bi-fold seatback table
    Shared inseat power socket UK/US/EU
    Two sockets per triple seat
    8.9 inch screen
    usb/rca and handset in seatback.

Potakas
    Participant

So, they stopped using EmPower?

Do you think is possible after the new First, other cabins to feature mood lighting?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Empower is already discontinued in Next Gen Club World (oddly you now need a US adaptor), and new First also features regular plugs (as I recall both UK and US, but I haven’t yet been on a live new F aircraft, only sat in the “simulator”).

The new aircraft will not require Empower adaptors.

I am not certain about mood lighting, there are some other innovations being mooted which will be more exciting than that, though.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Seems the press launch to BOM will be September 3rd, with flights to Chicago and Mumbai for this first aircraft, with another aircraft coming on stream about a month after this one.

Subject to change etc….

JordanD
    Participant

September 3rd seems a long while off.

I only mention this as BA have just announced that later today (18th August) the 777-300ER is arriving at LHR. (Their twitter feed, announced it is due around 1930hrs local). Seems like a long while to have an aircraft on the ground. Or a very long soft launch.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s an impressive machine! I think the new WT and WT+ products will impress, albeit in BA’s usual understated way.

A very classy aircraft!

VintageKrug
    Participant

And she landed at LHR this evening:

http://i35.tinypic.com/s4asmr.jpg

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you for the update

We are flying on it on Friday 3 September and will supply photos and full comment that day (or the next, allowing for time difference), although of course there may well be updates before then.

Tom Otley

BAdboys
    Participant

VK I, and I am sure many others on here, am intrigued as to how you were ”kindly invited by BA to see it yesterday”. Arranging a temporary id card is an effort in itself. You must have some very high management contacts at BA which is probably why you will not hear a word of criticism about them. The top press brass haven’t seen it yet!
    One can only concur that you are associated with BAs PR system.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

BAdboys,

it is not at all unusual for airlines to invite their best customers to try out or have a first viewing of new products and services. Some years ago when I was a gold card holder and designated ‘ a commercially important passenger’ with BA I was often invited to meetings and discussions with management who sought my views, like those of others, on some of the plans they had. I was lucky enough to see a mock up of the original flat bed for CW before it was finalised and put into service.

Therefore it is not surprising at all that someone like VK would be invited to see the new 777ER.

Regards to all,

Jonathan

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Why does it matter who the anon posters are? “VK” could be Willie, or even be a gender confused talking duck (quack quack, just in case you are). Within BA, especially cabin crew forums, the mere mention of VK is a bit like a red rag to a bull (so I am reliably informed). VK goes to great lengths to keep its identity secret, thats cyberspace…….anyone, anywhere, anytime, anyplace, just like the many BA employers, pilots and cabin crew that belong to this forum.

There are only 3 people for certain on this forum who know who VK is. One is VK, one is Tom Otley and the other is……………….well thats cyberspace!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls