First time with Ryanair – Will be the last

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 94 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=811328]Apologies I didn’t check before posting….Always an FDOS fan …but,just try using a mobile in the middle of the Adriatic to contact an Italian airport, using a UK mobile and, as a genius, YOU might suceed….I couldn’t…

[/quote]

Peter, you have to wait until you get to the airport and then check in there 🙂 no GSM phone will work in the middle of the Adriatic!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can’t believe nice things are being said about Ryanair on this forum. Was a time when the bleakest of picture was being painted about them by fellow posters!

I’ve never flown with them but in fairness their safety record is excellent and more people fly them than fly BA so MoL must be doing something right.

TominScotland
    Participant

LuganoPirate, in fairness, I think there have always been some of us on this Forum who recognise that Ryanair do offer a value proposition that works in certain circumstances and that, if you manage your expectations appropriately, they are absolutely fine for some types of trips. Ryanair also have changed significantly in terms of their offering and the remote airport jibe (mentioned in some of the posts above) no longer applies in many cases as they fly to places like Gatwick, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Oslo, Rome and Madrid among many others.

That said, there is never an excuse for a dirty plane or rude service whatever the price paid, whether from Ryanair, KLM or BA!!

Alsacienne
    Participant

LuganoPirate wrote

I can’t believe nice things are being said about Ryanair on this forum. Was a time when the bleakest of picture was being painted about them by fellow posters!

Of course this forum is principally for opinions rather than facts … but the ‘AGB’ (Always Getting Better) policy being rolled out by Ryanair is working, especially for those who are prepared to re-read the T&Cs and abide by them, as some previous working practices no longer apply.

Indeed, having recently taken a flight with an experienced airline who do a lot of specific holiday destinations, I found myself comparing their cabin crew standards and procedures to those of Ryanair and Easyjet … based on my experience of recent travel with both … and found that Ryanair certainly seemed to run a tighter ship in terms of safety demo (especially the audibility and comprehensibility of the spoken explanations in English) but also in the whole way cabin service was organised.

What a shame the travelling public tends to continue to revel in what goes wrong rather than what goes well. If one has (or tries to develop) a positive mindset – including being prepared to cope with the unexpected and be patient – when travelling, it can only be of benefit in reducing personal stress levels.

After all, isn’t a flight is about getting from A to B safely (and with your hold luggage!)? All the rest are just frills and sources of revenue.

I’ll get my coat ….

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Bluemooner – apologies for my slip!!

capetonianm
    Participant

Since there was earlier discussion about the safety announcements, I have taken two easyJet flights in the last three days and noticed that the cabin manager on both cases asked people to please put down their reading material, suspect conversations, and pay full attention to the briefing.

This afternoon I had the unusual luck to have a stunning young blonde next to me who was petrified of flying and as we took off from LGW we hit a few light bumps, which the captain had warned us to expect, and it was really minimal, but she was almost rigid with fear and was in tears. The crew had noticed and dealt with it very sympathetically, and I sat and explained to her about the wings creating lift and the various different changes in engine note and so on. I also recommended that she did a fear of flying course.

Charles-P
    Participant

This thread got a little off course so let me reiterate what I regard as acceptable with Ryanair and what I regard as unacceptable.

Acceptable – Terms and Conditions, Booking procedure, Route network, business model.
    Unacceptable – Filthy aircraft, crew not trained in how to secure door slide, uncomfortable seat, rude crew.

My email of complaint has yet to receive a reply but I will update this thread with their response when it does. To my mind the issue around a crew member not knowing how to properly secure the door slide clips is a serious one and I will press them for an explanation.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=812254]This thread got a little off course so let me reiterate what I regard as acceptable with Ryanair and what I regard as unacceptable.

Acceptable – Terms and Conditions, Booking procedure, Route network, business model.
    Unacceptable – Filthy aircraft, crew not trained in how to secure door slide, uncomfortable seat, rude crew.

My email of complaint has yet to receive a reply but I will update this thread with their response when it does. To my mind the issue around a crew member not knowing how to properly secure the door slide clips is a serious one and I will press them for an explanation.

[/quote]

Someone judging an airline on one flight – that’s just stupid.

The B738 does not have ‘door slide clips’.

Do you mean the crew member had trouble putting the girt bar into the floor brackets, to arm the system? Or removing the girt bar from the slide brackets and clipping them to the door, after disarming?

capetonianm
    Participant

“suspect conversations”
    In my previous posting, that was of course meant to say ‘suspend conversations’.

Charles-P
    Participant

Nearly five days after my email detailing their hygiene and safety problems on my flight I have just had an automated reply saying my “claim for compensation was being processed” I never made any claim but it says much about their assumptions regarding customer contact.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have taken Ryansir STN=BUD, and it was OK, thought the staff were rude, and delays of almost 2 hours. I believe they do not get paid then on the ground either!
    No different in cleanliness to CityJet, i have seen and complained about for over 5 years. The dirt is ingrained, and windows so dirty, the “Deposits” would have to be scraped off. I dread to think of the bacteria which would be found were a sawb to be taken, as have seen the same marks on the same aircraft / seat, days apart!
    However the service is always polite though the staff must feel very insecure with the loss of routes, and changes to a less business model. The 25+ yr old Avro jets do not help.

With fares for flights with KLM, LH Swiss etc, ( KLM £90 return LCY _ AMS), equally matching those of low cost Airlines, i fail to see the advantage, with the better reliability, back up of a good Airline, and some free service on board (with KLM). The service on the ground always re-assuring compared to sparse and costly LCC’s especially for delays etc.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I see CharlesP cannot answer my quesion in post #812660, leaving me minded to believe that his histrionics are more fantasy, than fact based.

Charles-P
    Participant

@MarcusGB. I can only agree. There is simply no excuse for a lack of cleaning. Absolutely disgusting on the Ryanair flight I endured but I know an issue with other airlines as well. Cityjet from Antwerp to London City were often the same

Charles-P
    Participant

I just had a call from someone at Ryanair saying they had seen my post here at BT and asking when I would be free for an “in depth conversation”.

The power of the BT forum is strong indeed !

PhilipHart
    Participant

Oooooooh @Charles-P! Will be most interesting to read your debrief 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 94 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls