First time with Ryanair – Will be the last

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 94 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Charles-P thanks for this thread, good to see some experiences and observations of Ryanair shared.

I suspect I will fly Ryanair again, however, they are always at the bottom of my list as there is simply nothing pleasant about the interiors of their plane, their sheer money grabbing odiousness when it comes to seating people apart and cabin crew announcement after announcement trying to flog their overpriced tut.

At least with the likes of EZY and BA (who are more or less a LoCo in Y intra Europe) there is a reasonable cabin ambience and an underlying air of professionalism once onboard.

bluemooner
    Participant

I have flown on Ryanair a number of times in the last few years. Last year Liverpool to Vilnius, Thessalonika to Athens, Manchester to Girona. At the time there was no alternative flying direct between the places above. I find them pretty much similar to Jet 2 Monarch. 3 hours would be my maximum. I always ensure I eat before hand. If they allocate seats so that Mrs B sits somewhere else, that’s a definite bonus!!!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

This thread is just on time! My first Fryon some years back with an elderly cousin LBA to ersatz Barcelona (not really there, naturally, but for us a better arrival point). Uncomfortable but ok for a short flight.

Last week enjoyed Fryon hospitality from Brinisi to Stansted (interesting my word check changed this to stagnated) after a boat trip delivering from Split to Brindisi. My one way cheap enough @ circa 40 quid but failed (no real option that far in advance) to check in before the sailing trip and not possible during it. Arrived at the airport when they had no airport check in facility and I was charged 50 euros in order to board…Now wonder why anyone thinks low cost airlines are low cost…

Ryan need to modify their motto “buy cheap and find it’s more expensive”

PeterCoultas
    Participant

This thread is just on time! My first Fryon some years back with an elderly cousin LBA to ersatz Barcelona (not really there, naturally, but for us a better arrival point). Uncomfortable but ok for a short flight.

Last week enjoyed Fryon hospitality from Brinisi to Stansted (interesting my word check changed this to stagnated) after a boat trip delivering from Split to Brindisi. My one way cheap enough @ circa 40 quid but failed (no real option that far in advance) to check in before the sailing trip and not possible during it. Arrived at the airport when they had no airport check in facility and I was charged 50 euros in order to board…Now wonder why anyone thinks low cost airlines are low cost…

Ryan need to modify their motto “buy cheap and find it’s more expensive”

Henryp1
    Participant

I flew with Ryanair many years ago Stanstead to Dublin return day trip for lunch, found it a terrible experience and have never considered the airline again, regardless how cheap the tickets are. But potentially some passengers find the destinations appropriate or that the fares are comfortable for their budget.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

PS Facebook has easy options to “delete” and “edit”….why not here?

capetonianm
    Participant

Ryanair appeals to the ‘budget sensitive’ traveller and as such I think it’s wonderful, as it keeps 100 million people a year off the airlines I choose to fly on, whilst keeping those carriers’ fares competitive.

It also happens to be a very successful and profitable airline, and MoL, one of the smartest and most astute businessmen of our time, talks a lot of sense. As he says, if you choose to ignore the terms and conditions when you purchase, and if you don’t stick to the rules, you only have yourself to blame.

Would I fly on FR again? No.

Do I wish them every success? With some hesitation, yes, but sadly they attract too many people to places that really can’t support so much ‘bottom of the market’ tourism.

I bet they have better contingency arrangements and disaster recovery procedures in place than BA!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Peter, why didn’t you log onto the airport wifi (or roam), download their app onto your smartphone and do a mobile checkin?

Cost €0.

Sorry, but you appear to be the victom of a self inflicted injury.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

bluemoaner – very good!!! I suspect I may have received a slap should I have been so bold to have suggested that!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=811222]I flew with Ryanair many years ago Stanstead to Dublin return day trip for lunch, found it a terrible experience and have never considered the airline again, regardless how cheap the tickets are. But potentially some passengers find the destinations appropriate or that the fares are comfortable for their budget.

[/quote]

LOL ‘some’ – about 120 million in 2016.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=811230]

I flew with Ryanair many years ago Stanstead to Dublin return day trip for lunch, found it a terrible experience and have never considered the airline again, regardless how cheap the tickets are. But potentially some passengers find the destinations appropriate or that the fares are comfortable for their budget.

[/quote]

Absolutely, and fine for those who do, but I am not one of them. Equally I don’t try to convince myself or others that particular cheaper products are in fact a better buy even though they give less.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Quite simply so many people fly Ryanair not so much because of price but also because of its widespread route network.

For example, one need only compare how many cities Ryanair serves in Poland, Italy or Scandinavia (from points all over Europe – not just UK/Ireland) compared to the national airlines.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=811231]

Absolutely, and fine for those who do, but I am not one of them. Equally I don’t try to convince myself or others that particular cheaper products are in fact a better buy even though they give less.

[/quote]

Henry, I wasn’t having a go at you, I understand your choice and Ryanair aren’t my favourite airline, either – but I will use them when it suits. Your choice of words amused me, that’s all.

I find the product very basic, but acceptable for certain purposes. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=811234]Quite simply so many people fly Ryanair not so much because of price but also because of its widespread route network.

For example, one need only compare how many cities Ryanair serves in Poland, Italy or Scandinavia (from points all over Europe – not just UK/Ireland) compared to the national airlines.

[/quote]

That’s a good point, Alex. FR really is a very big airline, these days.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 94 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls