First time hirer in US: request for help

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• Anonymous

JordanD
    Participant

Morning all – a request for assistance and guidance please:

Mid to End August, I’m heading to the New York & New England (CT, MA, RI) – flying into JFK and out of EWR, with a couple of days in New York at the start and end of the trip.

I’ve never hired a car in the US before and quick browse of the web (and this site) offers a multitude of advice, a fair amount of it from years previous, so a little out dated potentially. Would welcome any help/guidance or advice on:
    – ideal size of car
    – rental tips
    – insurance
    – where best to pick up (bearing in mind I can’t see a reason to have the car in NYC for the first two and last two days of the trip)
    – anything else

As a guide and to help:
    – there’ll be two drivers (both of us above 25)
    – I’ve got a Hertz Corporate Discount Programme (CDP) code which can be used for leisure
    – I’m very likely to get myself an American Express Platinum Charge Card in short order to avail of various memberships
    – I don’t have any rental organisation’s membership programme, so am not wedded to one brand

Any help would be most appreciated.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Buy an excess reduction policy from a uk company before you leave. (I used questor insurance

http://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/excess-protection-insurance.aspx

Paid Stg£49 for a year cover for me plus spouse.

Have recouped this 10 fold in savings on the “super” cover offered by the majors.

Also look at avisba.com since booking there will get you an extra driver for free which is usually up to £10 per day extra depending on provider.

Have a look on expedia for car hire only. They cover most of the usual agencies and price comparison is easier.

Go to the Aer Lingus site and click through to their hertz car hire offering. This has always been cheaper than booking direct with hertz

‘Budget at 49th st and 8 th ave’

This from my brother living in NYC. I know that he and his family have hired a car on 2 separate occasions recently to visit Maine and the improbably named Mystic (I had to consult my atlas for that one).

No further details provided, as he tends to be brief much like his Big Bro !!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

@ JordanD

Be careful if considering one of these insurance excess reduction firms.

Car rental employees top up their salaries with commissions when customers purchase some of the various insurances sold locally. So be prepared.

See this interesting case in the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/columnists/gillcharlton/8639451/Travel-advice-Car-rental-insurance-you-can-do-without.html

StandingThemUp
    Participant

Jordan

Watch out for pre-paid road tolls offers, they can sell you a ridiculous amount of credit that you won’t use. Research other options for payment. I got caught a while ago, never again.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g34438-i92-k3861739-Car_rental_pre_paid_tolls_scam-Miami_Florida.html

Str8Talking
    Participant

I have been extremely impressed by Alamo when hiring cars in the USA and I find their GOLD packages excellent value for money, and very competitive. The package reduces your excesses to zero, includes a tank of fuel and a number of other perks.

http://www.alamo.co.uk/namrpackages

They have four pick up locations in Manhattan although my advice to you, having driven in and out of town before, is to head out towards JFK and pick the car up from there as you will be heading in the right direction for your trip. You can then return it back to JFK and head back in town without ever having to drive in Manhattan.

Regarding car size, it depends on how much time you will be spending in it, and how lengthy your travel sectors will be, while you’re moving around. I found their cars to be in top condition and generally fairly new.

That said, it will also depend on price too. A good site to have a look at is:

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk

They are essentially a broker – they don’t tell you which company it is that you will be hiring for until you book, however, I find it a good tool when comparing prices from hire companies directly.

I’ve always had good experiences with Avis in Europe booked via ba.com but I have to say my experience with Hertz has not been great. I found them to be the least transparent and very cheeky when it came to getting any airmiles/points as rental rewards!

Happy travels.

JordanD
    Participant

Thanks for all your help thus far – I really appreciate it.

One of the benefits of American Express’ “The Platinum Card” is: “When renting a car abroad, there is no need to accept the theft, damage and liability additional/optional car rental insurance, this is covered up to £50,000 under your Platinum Insurance benefits.”

Has anyone who has the Platinum Card not taken additional car insurance, on the basis of this benefit? Just wondering if I should factor this into my premium.

StandingThemUp
    Participant

Just another thought, US rates are relatively cheap, so if you are only 2 up, consider hiring a Sebring convertible ….or even a Mustang (my fave.)

Communipaw
    Participant

Do not opt for the toll pass option. Rental car companies here love to tack a surcharge onto it.

Recommend that you rent from National. Good range of vehicle…and you get to select the vehicle you want from the parking lane.

Have a good time when you come over.

TominScotland
    Participant

SwissExPat

Thanks for the excellent recommendation – just coming up to a number of car hires and this will be really useful

toonfan62
    Participant

I’m the only “Geordie American” I know but as a US citizen (now) who travels extensively domestically Alamo may have good rates but they are right down there with Budget their parent company National, and Dollar at the bottom of the reputation pile. If you do hire from them look out for added insurance (even if you say no – watch what you sign) and charges for existing damage!

Our company policy is Avis who, with Avis First can be great depending on location. I still believe you get what you pay for and Avis / Hertz are worth a slight upcharge!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Not sure, if like in Europe they offer you the chance to buy a tank of fuel and return the car empty. If they do, don’t. It’s almost impossible to return empty and the few times I took up the offer from a persuasive employee II still had a half tank left. Though in fairness Europcar gave me a £5 off voucher for next time – but unused as I keep forgetting it!

WeeTravels
    Participant

I tend to use Avis via BA for those extra Avois. In the US I tend to go for luxury as the price difference to compact tends to be negligible and fuel costs again are reasonable. If you join Avis preffered, once your details are registered etc you can go straight to the garage to pick up the car thus bypassing desk (queues) altogether. Most recently in BUF I managed to have key in hand within a minute! Well worth it as it is a free service.

WeeTravels
    Participant

Also avoid NYC driving if possible. You wouldn’t like it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls