First pics: Australia’s first Jetstar Boeing 787 Dreamliner makes its debut

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello newbieflyer

What a great price, especially as the taxes/fees/charges form a significant component. Yes these new planes are efficient but the price is a reflection of state-owned China Southern’s pricing policies rather than the aircraft themselves.

r ryan
    Participant

“When you’re only flying five to ten hours, the amount the customers need to pay for a lie-flat seat, for the space it takes up, just doesn’t work out” Dal Pra told Australian Business Traveller.

Tell that to trans-Atlantic pax! (@8hrs)

I travelled Gold Coast-Osaka-GC with jetstar in their 2-3-2 “business” class – very squishy, nowhere to put anything, especially claustrophobic when pax in front reclines into your face – the window pax can’t get out when seats in front recline

really it is premium economy, but by calling it business, the Qantas group can extract more FF points. They have since slightly reduced points for Jetstar ‘business’ but when I travelled last year it was SAME number of points for their squishy 2-3-2 PE style seats on or 2-2-2 Skybed 1 on a Qantas A330

sparkyflier
    Participant

A friend of mine flew an Ethiopean 787 a few months ago in Y, and they have the 3-3-3 seating. He liked the bigger windows, but really felt the lack of width and arm/elbow room.

He travels to Africa a lot, and likes ET, but now seeks to avoid the 787 and seeks their 767 flights. However the London flights will now be mainly 787 flights,so instead he thinks he will be choosing Brussels Airlines as they go to most places he needs to get to.

So in this example the 787 and the 9 across seating has scared a loyal client away to a rival carrier, albeit still Star Alliance.

Papillion53
    Participant

Nice to see it in the livery – we saw the aircraft on the production line at Seattle in June. There was a clutch of media bods filming there that day from Australia.

I’m with you guys, no way would I go on the 787. But what would you do if there was an aircraft change and you were ready to go?

As far as Jetstar is concerned, we flew with them last year in Oz and despite all the bad comments, we found it was the best internal flight we had. From checkin to onboard service and the aircraft (clean and appeared newly fitted out) it beat Qantas hands down. But, of course, a shorter flight of 3 hours or so is not the same as an intercontinental flight.

rferguson
    Participant

Having been onboard a BA 787 and having sat in a seat in each cabin (albeit not leaving the ground) I can say that it would probably be my last choice of aircraft for a long haul flight if I had to travel in Y class. IMHO the now almost standard ‘high density’ nine abreast seating is very cramped. To accommodate the nine abreast seating the seats are obviously more narrow than on other aircraft. And unfortunately this has not been compensated for with extra seat pitch. In faact with the updated IFE system on board I’m sure there is more of the legroom taken up by IFE ‘boxes’ now.

Don’t get me wrong, Club and WTP are lovely. And Y may be bearable for a hop across the Atlantic but anything over seven hours and I would find it uncomfortable. And it should be remembered that the 787 is being marketed primarily for ‘long thin’ routes. I hope when BA takes delivery of the -900 series which will be operating to the far east and LATAM that they may reconsider nine abreast seating or add some extra pitch.

And BA only have 214 seats in total on their 787. I dread to think another hundred + on same aircraft!

***these are my personal opinions only and not of my employer***

newbieflyer
    Participant

Is the 9 abreast on 787 worse than the 10 abreast on the 777?
    Sorry slightly off topic

To get it back onto topic – The JetStar livery on the 787 looks superb though.

rferguson
    Participant

Newbie I would say 9 abreast on the 787 feels similar to 10 abreast on the triple.

newbieflyer
    Participant

Nightmare!
    wish me luck for my AKL-CAN-LHR flight on 787.!
    🙁

PeterCoultas
    Participant

IF the flight is half empty the 9 across could be a plus – make sure you start on an otherwise empty row, leave items in one of the outside seats and sit in the other – arm rests down makes a quite decent bed and better than a squishy tight non flat business seat. Managed this recently in a nearly empty 380 to and from Beijing on an ultracheap LH ticket.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls