First pics: Australia’s first Jetstar Boeing 787 Dreamliner makes its debut

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

AndrewChanster
    Participant

“Australia’s first Boeing 787 Dreamliner has emerged from the paintshop in Seattle wearing Jetstar’s silver-and-orange livery, ahead of an early October delivery to Qantas’ low-cost offshoot.”

http://www.ausbt.com.au/jetstar-s-first-boeing-787-dreamliner-makes-its-debut

AndrewChanster
    Participant

More info: first international flights in December but routes not yet confirmed.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Would you really want to travel in a Jetstar B787 ?

Jetstar’s B787 will accommodate 335 passengers in a two-class layout compared to Norwegian’s two-class B787 which holds 291.

By comparison, the original two-class ANA B787 configuration has seating for just 158 passengers.

I know that the number of business seats can distort seat capacity, but nevertheless …

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

AMcWhirter – 10/08/2013 12:11 GMT
    Would you really want to travel in a Jetstar B787 ?

I don’t want to travel in any 787.

Edski777
    Participant

Alex,

Are you really sure Jetstar will squeeze 335 bulky Aussies in a B787?

Do you have any idea about how many seats in C and in Y? And the pitch, how many seats across in Y?
    It must be horrible to fly on this aircraft for any length of time, but imagine flying on routes of 6 hours or so.

No need for Jetstar to wait for the aircraft to catch fire. I will explode!

I agree with AotG, no 787 for me. Jetstar just added another reason.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Edski777

Layout is planned as 2-3-2 in “business” class (but more like a Y+ product rather than business) with 21 seats at 38 ins pitch.

Economy is 3-3-3 with 31 ins of pitch. But there will be no fewer than 314 Y seats. (And when you think that in ANA’s original B787 config there are just 112 Y class passengers)

International routes not yet announced.

The difference between the Norwegian and the Jetstar B787 seating capacity is that Norwegian has a larger 28 seat “business” class cabin. But the seat-across layout of both airlines and the seat pitch is roughly identical.

No international routes announced yet.

AndrewChanster
    Participant

AMcWhirter asks: “Would you really want to travel in a Jetstar B787? Jetstar’s B787 will accommodate 335 passengers in a two-class layout compared to Norwegian’s two-class B787 which holds 291.”

Well if you are in Australia or the parts of Asia where the JQ 787 will fly you don’t have much choice between 787s because Norwegian doesn’t fly those countries. Sure, JQ’s config is not ideal but it IS a low-cost carrier and parent QF is intent on squeezing max revenue.

Edski777: “Do you have any idea about how many seats in C and in Y?”
    21 business with 38″ pitch, 314 economy with 31″ pitch.

tiggerbrown
    Participant

Just sounds like a good old charter config!

MarcusUK
    Participant

All i know that have to travel, do not want to fly 787’s yet. they do not have that sense of safety established in out view.

The plane was marketed as a better more comfortable experience for passengers, but the other factors of economy of fuel etc for the Airlines,, has become the main benefit for them, not us.

I would not want to travel, (as on the 10 across Y cabins 777’s), on airlines or aircraft that jam people in, to maximise their profit, as shown here.

There has to be a balance, and this is not met with Jetstar!

JohnHarper
    Participant

Well this looks like one not to avoid, never traveled with Jetstar and have no intention of starting but if I was in doubt this would seal the deal with so many seats on board.

Bucksnet
    Participant

You mean to avoid?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

No 787 for me either just yet. Two years incident free flying us what. require before setting foot on one.

So Marcus and AOTG. +1.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Re B787 Y seating

I know of no long distance aircraft where the airlines have installed denser Y class seating in such a short period of time.

With the B747 (which went from 9 to 10 across) and the DC10 (which went from 8 to 9 across) it was 10 years before the airlines began making the changes.

With the B777 (from 9 to 10 with some carriers) it was a few years.

But with the B787 it was a matter of months. QR was the first B787 operator to unveil 9-across seating at Berlin’s ITB trade show in March 2012.

http://www.qatarairways.com/english_global/press-release.page?pr_id=pressrelease_pressrelease_20120307

Only ANA and JAL remain true to Boeing’s recommended seating layout. But as we reported recently, ANA has broken ranks and introduced an additional 9-across version for selected international routes. (Which won’t at the present time include the UK).

But this new ANA B787 version will accommodate a maximum of 169 passengers.

newbieflyer
    Participant

MarcusUK:
    ” but the other factors of economy of fuel etc for the Airlines,, has become the main benefit for them, not us”

That indeed seems to be true to a certain extent, although from my experience prices seem to have moved south too.

As an example, I am booked on a LHR-SYD and return on AKL-LHR via CAN on China Southern, in March. All 4 sectors are on their new 787 and A380. Got it for a steal at £650, and I presume this price was only feasible with a Sardine config 787.
    Although, since booked way in advance, I was able to get all front row economy seats for the 787 and top deck economy seats on the 380.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls