First Long Haul Flight with a Baby in Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Airfurt
    Participant

Today starts our trip to the United States. An excellent Business Class Fare was the reason to start our journey in Oslo. So we took the plane from Munich and had an overnight stay in the Norwegian Capital. Really worth for $650 im my opinion :-). Its our first longhoul trip with our Baby Girl

This is our trip:

Part (1)
    OSL-CPH with SAS in SAS Plus Boeing 737-800
    CPH-YYZ with Air Canada in Business Boeing 787-8
    YYZ-ATL with Air Canada Express in First E175

Part (2)
    ATL-YYZ with Air Canada Express E175
    YYZ-MUC with Lufthansa Airbus A330-300

We came to Oslo with Air Dolomiti E190 and Brussel Avro RJ100 (yeah!) 🙂

After Security Check we went into the SAS Gold Lounge for a small Breakfast. I really like the Scandinavian atmosphere there.

OSL-CPH with SAS Boeing 737

If we travel with baby, then it has turned out to be an advantage to board at last the plane. So also on our flight to the Danish capital. We took a seat on the right site and the doors are closed. Its a smooth 55 min to Copenhagen. In SAS Plus a small snack is served. There is a coke, a water, a chocolate muffin and a cheese roll. The remaining flight time I walked with the Baby Girl through the plane. Shortly before landing, I come into conversation with my seat neighbor and it turns out that he was formerly CEO at SAS. It was an exciting conversation!

CPH-YYZ with Air Canada Boeing 787-8

Actually, the time was so planed that we had to went straight to the gate to Toronto, but the display panels showed a delay of 50 minutes. So there is a short detour to the SAS Lounge to change diapers, let off steam and eat a Snack. On time we made our way to the gate. With the baby in the stretcher, we will pass through all the waiting times during passport control. Now we are much too early at the gate. I walk with the baby girl one lap past the other airplanes and she falls asleep. At some point we go to the waiting room, where we are already expected.

We turn left and enter in the middle of the first row. There is a welcome drink offered and a friendly welcome from the crew with a very detailed instruction in case of an incident with the baby. Great thing is, that there is no extra belt, simply place the Babyover the shoulder. I like that personally. We took off and the baby girl is sleeping peacefully on me. After reaching the cruising altitude, the cabin manager introduces himself and took the drinks orders. I started with a Gin Tonic and the Movie Demoltion. Just before the food is served the baby awakes. My wife and I try to change with the food. As a starter, there is a small salad with smoked salmon and grains. I went for the Spicy Chicken as the main course. For Dessert I took the fruit plate and a cup of coffee. During the entire flight is a snack basket with KitKat, Twix, Chips and other Sweets available.

We are now already behind Iceland, but from a distant sleep of our Baby Girl no sign. Everything is way too exciting :-). We went around the cabins with time. Behind Greenland the cabin was dimmed . About 1.5 hours before the landing, the next arrival snack was served. The cabin manager said good-bye, the landing took place 15 minutes late. Our fellow travelers were very satisfied with the baby.

Entering Canada

Traveling with baby can also have many advantages :-). Especially when you are routed through the crowded area at the Security Check! Another security check followed. The actual entry into the USA is easy at the machine. The data is checked again by an officer and then there’s the desired stamp in the passport. We provide the Air Canada Lounge to change the diapers and to get a drink for a short visit. When we arrive at the gate for our flight to Atlanta, volunteers were asked for a later flight because of overbooking. 300 CAD would have been the Bonus per person. The offer is attractive, but we are still entering the small Embraer.

Toronto – Atlanta Air Canada Express E175

The recliners are very comfortable and great for the short hopping to Atlanta. We have a nice purser who gives us a short safety briefing again. Three passengers from our Copenhagen flight are also on board. The take off took over Downtown Toronto and Ontario Lake. The baby girl has fallen asleep in my wife’s arm.

As the climb ends, a great service starts. I went with a beer and the great Main Course ! When I finished eating, I fed my wife. Because she had no free Hands :-). The approach to Atlanta begans a short time later. When we leave the airport, pleasant 30 ° C awaits us. With the shuttle bus we drive for half an eternity to the Car Rental Center. Sixt has a computer problem and we are waiting almost an hour on, but we get a Navi for free for our Chevrolet Traverse.

Thank you for reading! 😀 What are your experiences traveling with a Baby on Long Haul Flights? Please leave a comment

FDOS_UK
    Participant

BT, would you have a look at this post?

1st time poster and two download links = potentially phishing.

Apologies to the OP if this is not the case.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t think it’s a phishing exercise FDOS, but I think he is trying to get more followers to his various Blog, Twitter etc accounts. I think he wants to be the next Points Guy or equivalent? Anyway, good luck to him but not something I would follow.

As a matter of interest, there is no First on the AC E175, just an Executive Class which is basically Business, though with 1/3 seating as opposed to 2/2 in Economy.

FrDougal
    Participant

Seems like google translate at its worst!

stevescoots
    Participant

yep, translated stuff. I dont mind links to blogs, not that i ever read them, but would expect some for of interaction, get to know others on the forum before diving right in

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls