First LHR / SYD

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

Gold-2K
    Participant

Heading to Sydney in May. Love the new BA first but Syd only rarely has this. So the other option is Qantas A380? Like the service on BA but tempted by the new A380. Any thoughts?

Binman62
    Participant

Personally I like the seat and the layout but it is not luxurious. It is very utilitarian but comfortable and I enjoyed the flight.
    I am not keen on QF crew, they are far too familar for my liking.
    If one world is a must then persoanlly I would take CX ex LHR. The product is simply the best and well worth the extra flight HKG SIN (imho).

Gold-2K
    Participant

Actually I hadn’t thought of CX. Do they have the same product hkg / syd?

alexlondon
    Participant

I agree with Binman. The CX First product is simply unbeatable. First is NOT available on all HKG SIN connections so do check before you book. I flew recently on the 3.5 hour HKG SIN flight, 747 in First and my onlyt disappointment was that the flight was so short. I was in a working mood, but the charming crew gradually disarmed me with constant offers of champage, and an increadible six course meal, that I landed up giving up work, relaxed had too much wine and enjoyed a great movie. Why can’t flying in Europe be like that…? I prefer to either BA or QF by a mile. If having to choose between BA or QF, the food is better on QF but BA feels more relaxed in all respects.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Thanks – I am travelling LHR – Sydney, not SIngapore. Does CX have the same product on HKG / SYD as it does on LHR / HKG?

Binman62
    Participant

Yes I believe they do but have not flown with them to SYD ex HKG. If it were me however CX is the answer.Lounge in HKG simply fabulous.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I am not keen on the QF A380 First – the seat privacy is poor and the whole cabin very sterile. CX First is unbeatable, unless you are a fan of the whole cubicle-with-doors deal . CX much better than BA New First in design, quality of build and food and service.

I_only_turn_left
    Participant

I flew QFA380 from SIN to LHR in First and they have a real problem with the floor bouncing when anyone walks down the aisle. Flew out upstairs in business and it was even worse up there. You don’t get that problem on A380 with Singapore air.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

I avoid the QF A380s because I have had substantial delays on them – in my opinion, the RR Trent 900 engines on them are unreliable. I don’t think they are unsafe (as per the QF 32 issue out of SIN) but I don’t think you can rely on them to get you anywhere on time.

You could, of course, fly on a number of other QF services via SIN, BKK or HKG that utilise 747-400 aircraft. These are much more reliable, and quite pleasant in F.

Or you could do what I do, and fly BA’s 747-400s. I’m a great fan of the BA jumbos, and if you get the new F, all the better.

A word of caution – if you fly BA or QF LHR-SIN-SYD or LHR-BKK-SYD, you will depart out of Terminal 3 at LHR. and you will not be able to use the wonderful BA Terminal 5 lounges (including the Concorde Room). CX flights also depart from T3.

My preferred routing is LHR-HKG on BA (meaning I depart from T5) and then QF from HKG to Australia. The downside is that the QF flights ex HKG don’t offer F. You could though do LHR-HKG on BA, and then CX for HKG-SYD (which will also allow you to use the great Cathay First lounge in HKG).

In SYD, the QF First lounge is superb. It can be accessed by QF and BA F pax, and oneworld Emerald. Whilst CX does use the QF lounges in SYD, I’m not sure if flying F with CX gets you access to the F lounge, or if access is to the Business lounge.

Binman62
    Participant

JohnPhelanAustralia makes a very good point about the A380, notoriously bad punctuality. I could not agree that the QF product in First on the 747 is pleasant however. It is a barn and there is absolutely nothing about the interior that is welcoming or luxurious. Indeed row 2 is a nightmare due to the awful layout of the cabin. 4 rows with 2 in the middle. 4A and 4K have bassinet positions. It is simply awful. Service is generally good but crew, as I stated before, are (IMHO) overly familiar.
    The option of using a combination of BA CX over HKG makes a lot of sense but on balance CX out performs them all. There are just 9 seats in F on a 747.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

JohnPhelanAustralia – “A word of caution – if you fly BA or QF LHR-SIN-SYD or LHR-BKK-SYD, you will depart out of Terminal 3 at LHR. and you will not be able to use the wonderful BA Terminal 5 lounges (including the Concorde Room).”

Admittedly T3 does not have a Concorde Room, but I am interested in what in your opinion makes the T5 lounge experience better than the T3 lounge experience where BA is concerned. The T3 lounges offer their own uniqueness in terms of layout but the offerings are of equal standards, the only difference I see is the view from the window.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Martyn, for me, the spaciousness of the lounges in T5 makes them superior. The amenities available are certainly of the same standard in T3, but I just find T5 more light, airy and spacious (I think ceiling height also has something to do with it). And, as you mention – the view!

But if travelling F, the Concorde Room in T5 is the main difference and one many would not want to miss.

AndyInSweden
    Participant

Gold-2K

Please note that CX offers F-class on LHR-HKG but NOT on HKG-SYD (or ADL/BNE/CNS/MEL/PER).

CX recently introduced their new business class on the HKG-SYD route, usually CX101 but subject to change.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi John

Thanks for your response. if you see somebody checking the ceiling height in the Galleries on your next visit, it could just be me!

The Concorde Room is indeed in a league of its own.

Martyn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls