First Great Western First Class – any comments

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I recently travelled from Truro to London (a 5 hour journey) in FGW 1st class. I am not impressed at all:

First Class had no wifi and absolutely no at-table service – not even a drinks trolley. A single under-staffed canteen served the entire train (one staff member for a train which ran for 6 hours in all from Penzance) and eventually ran out of food.

I finally got some lunch at 2.30 after queueing for twenty minutes and giving up a previous time because the queue was so long. Even getting a drink would have taken a twenty minute queue.

As far as I can tell the only advantage purchasing a first class ticket got me was a moderately more comfortable seat. The service (non-existent as it was) would have been considered poor in standard class and it was abysmal in first class.

Does anyone else have any experience of FGW – was this just a bad day or their standard offering for “first class”?

PaulJennings
    Participant

I did a trip from Cardiff to Reading a couple of months ago. I was left pretty much undisturbed. There was a trolley. And it was just a trolley, with food and drink on, left in one of the carriage ends with no staff in sight. So I helped myself. Don’t know if the makeshift larder is usual or if they just couldn’t be bothered that day.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I used it last week.

A nice trolley from which I raided some biccies and tea whilst on a conf. call. No real issues and it was noticeably clean, decent recline and the staff pleasant; not that worth going for First unless travelling at peak times.

Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen and concubine were in the same carriage.

ffidrac
    Participant

Have used FGW many times from Cardiff to Paddington.
    For a long time First Great Western was known as Worst Late Western due to its appalling punctuality (admitted some of it post Hadfiled). When the Department for Transport issued it with an order to improve about 18 months ago it did, with much improved punctuality. That cost FGW £25m and as a consequence the service in first dropped – reduction of restaurant cars to only 2 trains per day, introduction of Travelling Chef (with at seat service for first), and a significant reduction of what was free on the trolley. Suddenly the Coca Colas and other soft drinks which were free disappeared and the choice is now Tea, Coffee, hot chocolate, water and orange juice. And of Friday nights you could have a free glass of wine (to set you up for the weekend)

Usually the trolley goes through first after each stop (but occasionally lack of staff means it gets parked, either in coach H or coach F)

With full fare tickets almost £300 return, not good value. However book a fixed time ticket and often it can be a couple of £s above some of the cheapest standard (well worth the wider seat and the lack of airline type seating)

Suspect that now that civil servants and MPs (who were often key users of first class from Wales) have to slum it in standard, what there is for those left in first might get worse

One bright spot: the first class lounge in Cardiff has a treasure of an attendant – her bubbly manner at 6.30 in the morning, her ability to raise considerable amounts for charity and her ability to recognise the regulars is something that should be a beacon for other train companies (and maybe even airline lounges!)

MarkCymru
    Participant

I use it from Newport to London — often several times a week.

The staff are usually lovely. The train managers often used to go AWOL but now they come through after almost every stop (one told me that they’re on very steep incentives to collect penalties and extra tickets). They’re usually friendly and reasonable. The trolleys are there from early morning until the 19.15 service from Paddington at night. They are usually staffed by friendly people and usually pass through four or five times. In fairness, they have a selection of juices and teas. Unlike Virgin, sandwiches cost or they will get paid-for food from the travelling chef (if there is one) and bring it to you. Crisps, nuts, fruit, etc… are free.

The trains are ancient. First was redecorated about two years ago with leather seats and bright neon lighting — I think I preferred the old First. On a packed train, there is very little leg room because nearly all the seats face one another across a table. I agree, it’s not worth £255 return (the full first fare) but it’s well worth £50 return (the cheapest first on the web site). The quiet carriage is a good idea and passengers usually shut up any errant phone users (although the staff never do)

We were scheduled to get new trains in four or five years. I imagine that will be stopped as it depends on FGW getting another subsidy (funny how the private sector has become so addicted to handouts). That may not be a bad thing: the new trains they introduced a few years ago were a disaster: forever breaking down and even less room and comfort than the current ones. Lucky passengers in the West Country have them now.

FGW is very creative about cancelling trains at non-peak times for reasons that are, allegedly, not their fault. This is a problem everywhere because of the chaotic privatisation of the network but seems worse with them.

The first lounges at Paddington are not bad — I prefer the Victorian one to the chrome and glass one and the people who staff them are very helpful.

As Ffidrac says, now the MPs and civil servants have been pushed back to standard, the over-crowding is less of a problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls