First Class Lounges in 60’s 70’s

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

norbert2008
    Participant

Can any of you recall what airline lounges were like in the 1960’s 70’s. Were they really like the film the VIP’s?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I only flew First once in 1976 or ’77, Koln to LHR with BA (may even have been BEA?). The lounge at Koln was a small room with a few armchairs and a fridge with mixers. Above it various drinks. Can’t really remember it but I think the dominant colour was a dark red, like a chesterfield sofa. Looking back it wasn’t really glamorous but for a first timer I was in awe. Especially with the free drinks!

esselle
    Participant

Free ciggies (State Express 555, Senior Service), hostesses in white gloves.

In the Austrian First lounge in VIE last week, very sorry affair by comparison, BUT, you do get the car to take you the the plane. That’s a nice touch!

VintageKrug
    Participant

esselle
    Participant

VK

This gets 11/10! Fantastic. I can almost taste the Dry Martinis, Americanos, Manhattens and Negronis.

Deleted_User
    Participant

A bit before my time as I was only born in ’72, but The Good Old Days indeed. Thanks for some ‘vicarious’ nostalgia!

‘in the French manner’ – love it!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Of course one has to remember that although all that seems glamorous, it masked considerably higher incidence of technical delays, loud and dirty aircraft and the only “IFE” was the food and a good book (and perhaps the stewardesses…).

And then there was the smoking on board…why that was ever allowed I cannot fathom. Eeuurgh.

Personally, I think we’ve got it much better these days, especially since the advent of flat beds.

esselle
    Participant

Not sure the smoking point was very relevant then. I can remember pilots offering me a flight deck ciggie on many occasions!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I remember in the early 80’s when the relief crew on SIA in F would come and sit with me to have a smoke. They were usually Aussies and regale me with stories of derring-do as pilots in Vietnam. Not sure if it inspired confidence or not!

VintageKrug
    Participant

…any more 70s lounge pics..?

SimonS1
    Participant

Another contrived post from the Vintage stable.

Oh and seeing as you posted the link, why don’t you use Flyertalk any more? You must be missed, as the last mention of your name produced some interesting comments.

Edski777
    Participant

Just have a look at the meals that were served on board.
    Almost no matter which airline you take nowadays: we, as passengers who were once guests, have to accept a serious step back in terms of quality and presentation.

http://www.airlinemeals.net/browseOldies.php

Ahh, the good old days.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

SimonS1 – well, I enjoyed the link and the vintage pictures. Not bother if it resurrects an old thread – I missed it first time around, and I’m a sucker for this sort of archive stuff

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls