First Class … Crew galley noise.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• openfly
    Participant

BA A380 from LHR to JNB. Impossible to sleep in F due to the noise from the galley….slamming, thumping, chat, giggles, tinkling of crockery. Eventually got up and went to the galley to politely ask them to be more considerate and reduce the noise. Went back to bed and…amazingly…total silence! So it can be done. Crew unmanaged?

Return from CPT on a 747 in F….again lots of night time noise from the galley area. So got up and went back to ask for quiet. No problems….it was very quiet thereafter. Why should I have to ask? Also, on this flight, I had to ask for the cabin lights to be dimmed. I was told that they are at the lowest setting. So I went back to the CSMs office, who came and switched the lights off…he admitted that the crew did not know how to operate the lights switch! The crew also didn’t know how to set the knives and forks, give a water glass and offer a serviette….and called me “love”! Yes, this was First Class….not a charter!

goldaviator
    Participant

Big bug bear with BA crew in First on A380. Sitting in 1A or K, there are cupboards under the stairs next to the seats which they open and close all night to get at their personal things. The noise drives me a little crazy.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=701195]BA A380 from LHR to JNB. Impossible to sleep in F due to the noise from the galley….slamming, thumping, chat, giggles, tinkling of crockery. Eventually got up and went to the galley to politely ask them to be more considerate and reduce the noise. Went back to bed and…amazingly…total silence! So it can be done. Crew unmanaged?

Return from CPT on a 747 in F….again lots of night time noise from the galley area. So got up and went back to ask for quiet. No problems….it was very quiet thereafter. Why should I have to ask? Also, on this flight, I had to ask for the cabin lights to be dimmed. I was told that they are at the lowest setting. So I went back to the CSMs office, who came and switched the lights off…he admitted that the crew did not know how to operate the lights switch! The crew also didn’t know how to set the knives and forks, give a water glass and offer a serviette….and called me “love”! Yes, this was First Class….not a charter!

[/quote]

Sadly these days crew aren’t trained with a ‘customer first’ attitude. As that programme showed last year a big chunk of training time is taken up with makeup, hair and other non value adding activities. All part of the demise of BA I’m afraid.

How was the venerable old 747.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ve had this, but I’ve also had very quiet crew – just flew to and from Shanghai in First (on miles with BA AMEX companion tickets) and despite being in the first row close to the front galley it was very quiet both ways. As you say, depends on the crew – other flights in First I’ve had to do the same (also on Delta in business, though, so not a unique problem to BA).

Here’s a thread that discusses it
    Loud Talk & Laughter in front Galley

TiredOldHack
    Participant

BA cabin crew on an A380 told me they had a special ‘quiet regime’ for this type, as it’s so quiet that normal noises that would get covered up by the general jet/air sound come through.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Makes sense, but then perhaps it would make sense to carry on that regime throughout the fleet

Celticplumber
    Participant

Is it mainline crew, rather than mixed fleet on the A380? My recent experience is of mixed fleet being generally more friendly and eager to please, even if a few of them would benefit from a short stay at finishing school.

On a flight back from Brasil recently, the mainline staff were particularly clumsy with one old dear (the image of Hyacinth Bucket) breezing through the cabin saying “sorry dear, sorry dear, sorry dear”, as she sloshed drinks onto the laps of passengers.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Not so much galley noise which I find annoying but the quite unnecessary banging & clattering of fellow passengers when closing the oveheads or slamming the upstairs storage bins on the 747.
    “You do realise that the overheads & storge bins can easily be closed quietly”?

The whole cabin trying to sleep on the overnight between JFK & LHR last week & idiot seated behind me (who obviously didn’t wish to sleep) continually banging around (seriously, slamming the storage bins, banging the overhead shut, slam goes the footstool, crash goes the IFE unit – you get the picture).

This coupled with the cabin crew leaning over me (uninvited) to close my window blinds right after dinner – I wanted them open until it was dark. Come back from the loo, they had been closed again

Rant over – until next time

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=701346]Any suggestions as to how we can improve the forum gratefully received[/quote]

Tom – There doesn’t appear to be a ‘miscellaneous” sector in the forum or am I missing it somehow?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here it is

Miscellaneous

Tom

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@seasonedtraveller

I recently had the same problem with the crew closing my blinds when I wanted them opened. I was told the solution is to advise the CSD on boarding, to leave the blinds alone and you will close them when you are ready.

When I was told other passengers were complaining about the light coming into the cabin, I very politely suggested they wear eye shades….

Some people may disagree with my views, but bottom line, ask any Dr and they will say sitting in a darkened cabin for 10 – 12 hours, is not good for you… especially on a day time flight…

1 user thanked author for this post.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

When I was told other passengers were complaining about the light coming into the cabin, I very politely suggested they wear eye shades….

Surely the answer for the moaners is this – if you want to control the window blinds, book a window seat, not an aisle – simple really.

openfly
    Participant

@SimonS1

Apart from the noise and the lighting….the 747 was splendid, as usual. The Queen of the skies!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

In Dec 13 I was flying with the family in Y on a US flight from LHR-CLT. 2 kids in window seats and Mrs O and I in the aisle seats. (2 x 4 x 2 config).
    Mrs O takes small person to the lavatory about an hour into the flight, while gone a lady sat across the aisle from their seats gets up moves across their vacant seats and closes the window blind. I leaned over and opened it. She asked why I was doing that to which I replied ‘my son enjoys looking out the window’, which was entirely true. (It was about 11am).
    She kicked up a massive fuss, I held my line, so she got the cabin crew involved. Complaining and advising I was being rude (I was being polite but firm). I again held my line to which the cabin crew said they’d get the captain involved if they heard any more from either of us.
    Fortunately they moved her, but a massive fuss and not an entirely comfortable experience!

icenspice
    Participant

On my first and only trip in BA First, the only noise I heard from the galley was CC flicking through magazines LOL

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls