Fired for joking on Twitter about blowing up an airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

excessbaggage
    Participant

An interesting piece by comedian David Mitchell on the man who was fired and fined £1000 for jokingly tweeting that he would blow up Robin Hood airport.

I know we live in serious times in terms of terrorist threats, etc, but surely this is going too far? Does this mean comedians can’t make similar jokes in their stand up shows without risking being arrested? And what about anyone who re-tweeted the comment – should they also be punished?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/16/britain-turns-serious-david-mitchell

P.S. One of the comments further down the piece about the tin foil gun in hand luggage is hilarious, and once again shows how times have changed…

VintageKrug
    Participant

This seems to be rather an overreaction. But I suppose this might have been the straw that broke the camel’s back for this individual.

Legroomneeded
    Participant

Yes this does seem to be an over reaction , it reminds me of an episode of Border control, when an American chap had a violin case and when asked to open it , he said he had a gun inside ( for a joke) . Much to his dismay , the Heathrow police took him away and questioned him for 7 hours, he missed the flight and was most put out , he wont “joke” about that again.
    Its also a cautionary tale that social networking sites can get you caught out very easily .

VintageKrug
    Participant

And a further illustration that anonymity on the net is actually a more than sensible approach.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I can see Crime watch headlines:

Looking for VintageKrug and Legroomneeded – the photofits would be interesting!!

I think that this is a reason for no anonymity. At least people will then become more accountable for the tosh they publish.

Have a sunny day everyone

Martyn SInclair

Legroomneeded
    Participant

Martyn you can CHOOSE whether or not to have anonymity in most cases its down to how much you want people to know about you. Increasingly now i am seeing more and more stories of facebook being behind Crimes of passion, fraud,Bullying etc but the upside is i get to see someone’s holiday photos from 2007 or something …. WOW 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Legroomneeded (can i call you lofty for short??)

I agree with you that its all about choice, however, where i was coming from is people who blog sheer and utter tosh, which verges on slander as well as comments that coul dbe interepreted as racist. It is a balance of light haearted banter, serious travel industry issues and miscallaneous travel topics. I guess at the end of the day, although VK is VK and you are Lofty and Geo is Geo – that BT know the real ID’s and therefore do have the ability to collect comments of dubious content and identify the bloggers.

Had the DJ who recently announced the incorrect demise of a monarch (supposedly as a joke) been annonymous, I am sure that he would have been identified by someone.

It all about balance – I hope you agree.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

Hi Legroomneeded

I can not help wondering how the police were able to think of enough questions to keep going for 7 hours. Clearly they are under employed

alistairNicoll
    Participant

Hi Legroomneeded

I can not help wondering how the police were able to think of enough questions to keep going for 7 hours. Clearly they are under employed

Legroomneeded
    Participant

Haha Martyn Lofty is fine, as is Long shanks, Jolly Green Giant etc.
    Alistair i suppose they were just doing what American border officials do, if your name is Khan or Muhammed ( controversial) .
    Its is a silly thing to say though since 9-11 and the police certainly made sure he was left in no doubt about the seriousness of his comment .

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks for your sense of humour Lofty – more is needed on this site.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls