Finnair updating long-haul J/C-class?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Charles.

This is extremely disappointing news. As an avid AY fan, I now start feeling that they are becoming very good at snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

They are spending a lot of money on implementing and then boasting about their rebranding. However, surely consistency in product offering is a prerequisite in any brand positioning? Real rebranding is so much more than a lick of paint and a new logo, surely?

All best wishes,

Simon

Deleted User
    Participant

Hi Simon

I also remember speaking with the Cabin Manager or CSD, during my first flight, so far flown 5 sectors with the 330 (all new seats) about the new seats and she too confirmed that all the A330’s had the new designed seats. Its not that I dont believe what FinnFlyer has posted, but it doesnt make sense that one minute all the 330’s have the new seat and now 4 appear to have the old seat. Unless the 4 330’s with the old style seats are infact ‘older 330’s’.

Any further from FinnFlyer.

FinnFlyer
    Participant

Agree with Simon, a lot of talk about new design etc, but no talk about the seats, which is one of the major factora for many when choosing an airline. After digging deeply into AY webpages, it appears there is one more A340 leased and entered service just recently (or entering shortly, total is 7), no info anywhere about seating arrangements, presumably old lie flat angled.

The four A330’s with old seating have entered service before December 2009 and the four new ones within 13 months (first with new fully flat seats in Dec 2009).

I wish BT would go and ask Finnair what their intentions with the seatings are.

I don’t know how you can tell if it is new or old A330 in one particular route, unless you make a booking and get access to the the seatplan, Charles? BKK is served twice daily with mix A330/A340 fleet.

I will fly AY to NYC in March and according to seat I have it is the new configuration, we’ll see….

FinnFlyer
    Participant

Deleted User
    Participant

I was simply relying on the inforamtion I thought I had seen on teh Finnair website coupled with the fact a couple of flight attendants were also confirming that all the A330’s have the new seat design and layout. I would only chose the Finnair conenciton to BKK which stated the aircraft was the A330. I must just have hit lucky on the 6 sectors I flew with them.

I know sonebody asked me on another thread about going to Hong Kong with FInnair (using the new seat). My advice at the time was – check it was going to be an A330. I must find out who it was and see what happened.

This is really strange because I have been a big fan of Finnair (apart from the overly bright lights on an evening departure) and I would only post a fact like this if I had seen it or had heard about it..

It has put me off a bit becasue its back to the days of trying buying a product and knot knowing which one, old or new you are going to get.

Well 4 out of 8 – its 50/50.

Please dont compare this to BA new First. They are slightly bigger and the chances whilst increasing monthly, have been known as chances, right from the first publication of the upgrade to the product.

Hey ho, its BA next week to BKK, subject to whether there is a strike wind down.

FinnFlyer
    Participant

Flew AY business a week ago on A330 HEL-JFK, flight was delayed unexpectedly by over 3 hours due to maintainance, AY staff came around in the lounge to inform every passanger personally about the delay, this was done very professionally. The extra time was well spent in the Spa with massage and saunas, about 60€ for 30min massage and full use of spa, including robes, slippers etc.

Flight with new fully flat beds, they are brilliant, for solo travellers the solo seats are just great. Service was very good, food good enough, attendants always present and available, lots of snacks available between meals, fair wines and champagne.

Too bad only 4 aircraft (A330’s) have this seating (out of 16 long haul planes, half are A330’s and half are A340’s).

Immigration at JFK very quick, but taxi line was long and took a long time due to poor arrangement of dispatcher.

All in all AY is not bad, especially if you are lucky to get the new seatplan. And booking under AA code fare is cheaper.

Deleted User
    Participant

Thanks for your report Finn Flyer.

I am a big fan of Finnair but they have one problem that really grinds me. The bright lights bieng left on full on a night flight for the first 3 hours. Did you notice whether this had been solved or does the light show still continue?

FinnFlyer
    Participant

Sorry I cannot really recall how it was – I think they did turn out some lights… This was a daytime flight (although turned out to be an evening flight due to delay), so it wouldn’t have been a problem for me….

I think the lights are on because the service and dutyfree sales continue for that duration in the economy class… and they simply turn the light off all at once, even they surely could turn off the lights in business….? Don’t know, strange thing.

DClinPsy
    Participant

They told me that their A340 to Singapore will feature the new fully flat bed seat.

Also, Finnair is the strictest airlines regarding safety, as I heard from a friend who work in Frankfurt airport.

David
    Participant

I flew Finnair business class to Bangkok a few weeks ago and was pleased to be on the new fully flat product (A330) on the journey to BKK and disappointed to have the angled flat product (A340) for the journey home.

I expected the same product/aircraft on both directions given their single flights to/from BKK daily.

Daytripper
    Participant

Flew Helsinki to Seoul in May, both directions on an Airbus 330. Regrettably, old style business seats there and back.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls