Finnair seat charge

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Hello all

Just booked a few sectors on Finnair, EDI – SIN / SIN – HND / HND – EDI costing just shy of £3K, did this following the excellent review on here of their new seat. Went to book my seats to be charged a further £272.00, so have cancelled the lot and will book another airline.

Just a wee warning in case you see an attractive price, also read from their social media their customer services are a bit of a shocker.

I appreciate they aren’t alone, but I refuse to spend money to book a seat when I am booking a premium cabin.

Rgds,
    AOTG.

12 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,
    Thank you for that.
    Could I ask, was this a Business Light fare and do you have status with Oneworld?
    thanks, Tom

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=1206231]

Hey Tom

Booked on Expedia at a price point of £2650 for the 3 legs which was reasonable. Then they wanted a further 10% for seats. Before I cancelled I went to Finnair’s site direct but 2 things: 1) You can’t book multi-leg flights with them, so 2) I tried a one-way to Singapore to note a £400 difference from the fare to select the seat. (Light fare is no use to me but fare with checked luggage was, it was £400 more to select the next category which allowed seat selection)

A shame as the review of the seat made it look great, but no seat in the sky is worth an additional £100 + when I am paying for a J fare. (IMHO)

Rgds,
    AOTG.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, I agree. I’ll have a closer look at that – might make a good article.
    thank you, Tom

4 users thanked author for this post.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

More and more airlines are offering “light” fares with no seats / lounge access incorporated into fares precisely because they want to advertise cheapest fares on Search Engines where customers don’t know what they are actually getting. Being at the top of the list is the priority. Hence these types of fares. Get it time after time with likes of Qatar / Emirates / Finnair and a few more now.

Norwegian started this with Economy longhaul – now airlines doing same for Premium cabins. All about search metrics.

8 users thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Oh, yes Tom I’m currently Gold BA.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

BA Gold should get for free on Finnair. Might be number isn’t in the booking correctly.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I believe Emirates instigated these fares almost three years ago.

Emirates to ‘unbundle’ business class fares

K1ngston
    Participant

Just to say I booked Finnair as part of a redemption flight I am doing to the UK, and once I put my BAEC Gold number on the booking there was no extras’s for seats, in fact the booking was very smooth…
    Now on saying that I don’t know whether the seat price is included in the mile redemption, but I found the process very easy, the frustrating part of the process is trying to book my seats on JAL for the return flights, their website is probably worse than BA’s!

2 users thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=1206243]

The problem Tim is that I can’t do multi-sectors on Finnair’s own website! And I need all 3 sectors to make it work….

I’ll call you! 🙂

KR
    AOTG.

Cargoman
    Participant

I recently booked with Finnair a multi sector business ticket
    Discovered that you cant do multi sector on their website so tried to call customer services to book.
    A very poor experience so I decided to book through a travel agent.
    It was seamless and I got the seats that I asked for ( at no extra charge)

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have no problem with Finnair either – am using them for the outbound sectors of my trip to BKK in a couple of weeks. Seat reservations, notifications of flight time changes all managed efficiently without any fuss.

I happily use my friendly and professional Travel Counsellor. No hanging on the phone listening to music if any issues arise. All comms. via email, WhatsApp or the occasional phone call.

Does my ticket cost slightly more – sometimes yes, sometimes no – but either way, Tim’s services (or the services of any professional ticket agency business) are worth every penny, especially in the current times of flight cancelations, changes, service reductions…

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Interesting. I am Finnair Platinum so I don’t pay any seat fees, obviously. However, when I book BA I do, irrespective of being One World Emerald. BA.com doesn’t pick up my status when I book.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=1206325]

Agreed Martyn, I book a chunk of my travel with Tim but this one seemed a no-brainer at the price-point. But, it was clearly too good to be true….

Rgds,
    AOTG.

3 users thanked author for this post.

michaelkelly
    Participant

Interesting thread, I’m surprised there is little or no mention that BA have been doing this for a while now.

Back in August 2016, I booked LHR-PHX in Business class with BA, paid the airfare then went into my booking to assign myself and my wife seats. The feeling f disgust at having to pay extra on top of the Premium price left a taste that has meant, I avoid BA for long haul since then

Rgds
    Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls