Finnair or Qatar

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I’ve flown both. I really like Finnair and they’ve been good when there was a delay on the departing LHR flight and I missed my connection at HEL. I have heard, and it’s only anecdotally, that Qatar isn’t always as accommodating.

Finnair’s new A350s are great. So’s their cabin service. I’d say Qatar’s food is a bit better, and their IFE certainly is, but for a grand saving, I’d go Finnair.

TravellingJake
    Participant

QR have announced Qsuite on Singapore routes from November. That would win it for me.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

TIredOldHack2, what did Finnair do to minimise the inconvenience of the missed connection?

ghlotus
    Participant

To CathayLoyalist2:

Somewhat off the subject, but I have found Cathay Pacific outstanding in taking care of Business Class passengers with missed connections. Often putting them on competing airlines’ flights.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

I think the one thing you must also consider is sleep. Flying with Finnair means you get one longer leg than if you fly via Doha so whilst I agree Qatar is better for sleep etc Helsinki and Finnair get my vote. It’s also a smaller airport so very easy to change planes. The Finnair A350 has good seats but the service is not so warm.

Swissdiver
    Participant

still a respectable 520TP by my calculations

Not quite I am afraid. You’d get twice 40 + 40 + 140, i.e. 440TP while your QR calculation (640TP) is correct.

On the product itself, it has been a while I haven’t flown on Finnair metal notably because of the almost 3 hours flight to HEL on a tiny Embrarer. But QR is currently one of my favourites, particularly on B787s and A350s. So this would certainly be my choice.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

560 TP with QR.

Am taking AY (for the first time) to HKG and back from PEK next week.

Main reason being cost and schedule. They were about £1k cheaper than QR and neither CX or BA had a sale on at time of booking.

Normally try to use CX for this itinerary as they are often priced competitively.

Will be interested to see how AY compare with other OW and *A carriers.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=886388]560 TP with QR. [/quote]

Plus twice 40 for INV-LHR-INV.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

My apologies! I was thinking only of the Lon-hel-hkg leg.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I flew yesterday with AY, LHR-HEL-HKG. Here is brief review and my thoughts as a first time user of AY’s service to Asia. (I return PEK-HEL-LHR next week).

Check-In
    Area B of T3, waited about a minute before swift check in process, where I was invited to use either No 1 Lounge or Cathay’s, with agent advising the CX one was much nicer. Also invited to use Fast Track, which took less 5 mins to clear.

Lounge
    I went to the Qantas lounge as I hadn’t been to this space since it was the old London Lounge. Impressive and spacious, set over 2 floors. The ground floor looked to be entirely a dining facility. I wasn’t sure it was operating when I arrived at 16:45 as the lounge was very quiet, and not being particularly hungry I went upstairs and sat at the cocktail bar and did a little work. WiFi worked very well. There was a perfectly adequate buffet set up at one end of the 1st floor.

Flight 1
    12 rows of business class on this A321 with only 9 pax. The seat was a newer, slimline offering with the middle seat kept free. Pillow and blanket on the seat. Overall I found the seat hard on the back so not particularly comfortable. Legroom was fine, though pax in front did not recline their seat.
    Service was friendly and professional. Two choices for the meal, I had the meat dish (pork) which was enjoyable and ample. Full bar service before the meal, during it and afterwards. Nice glassware. Wine & champagne served in individual bottles.
    We pushed back bang on time and with a tail wind, landed 15 minutes ahead of schedule, which was helpful as I’d only allowed 45 mins for my connecting flight to HK. (Still within MCT).

Helsinki airport
    Compact terminal, easy to navigate. Stopped briefly in Finnair’s Premium Lounge. Hard to say too much more than it was ‘fine’, given I was there for no more than 10 mins. The more comfortable seating looked to be towards the rear of the lounge. Good speed, free WiFi though out the terminal.

Flight 2
    A359 for this flight with the larger of the two business class configurations. I sat in 7A, in the second last window seat of the front / main cabin. This was the furthest forward window seat available at time of booking, one month prior. Every business seat was occupied. Cabin does feel spacious with no overhead bins above the centre seats. I received a OW Emerald greeting, had my meal order taken early and the meal was delivered early as well.
    AY sent numerous emails before my flight, one was the offer to pre-order a meal. The meal itself was good, without being exceptional (for airline food). Standard 3 courses, with choice of 3 whites, 3 reds and a rosé. Enjoyed the German Pinot Noir.
    Seat is very similar to CX, with plane being new, it was in pristine condition. I’m just over 6ft and had no issue stretching out fully. In my opinion, you can’t beat a single seat, by a window with direct aisle access when flying alone.
    Reasonably good selection of IFE, Bose earphones supplied.
    Small delay departing, though still landed 15 minutes early.

Summary
    I’m responsible for my travel budget, so am always keen to get a competitive price alongside pretty strict schedule demands (no long layovers, evening flights out of LHR, flying on specific dates). If AY flights are a few hundred pounds cheaper than the next best priced OW option, then I’d happily fly this route with them again. With this booking they were about £1,000 cheaper than the next best OW carrier.
    The downside with AY, from my perspective, is the 2 x 3 hour flights in a fairly uncomfortable seat.
    AY have an A359 service to and from HEL & LHR, so if the timings worked to utilize this, it would be hard to find too much to fault.
    I’ve flown CX the most over the last 3 years on this route as they’ve more often that not had a sale on at the time I’ve booked via my TC (always around a month prior to travel). Hands down winners for me.
    I used to fly QR but over the last few years their prices have increased and when there has been a competitive fare, there has always been a long layover or similar which detracts. (I try not to be away from the family for any longer than I have to).
    Given the competitive price, no issues during the flights and landing early I was more than satisfied with the experience.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls