Finnair makes onboard economies from April 19.

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

According to Finnair publicity the airline is making some economies to its onboard services effective April 19.

There is much information here so it’s best readers click the link below.

What I do find somewhat surprising is Finnair’s decision to reduce catering for economy passengers on two long-haul routes from Helsinki: New York and Dubai.

No longer will two meals be served complimentary on the above two routes. One of these two meals is to become BoB (Buy on Board).

Let’s hope this doesn’t become a trend on other routes of similar distance.

https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/bluewings/travel-experience/updates-in-services-onboard-finnair-flights-starting-on-19-april-2908084

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

I flew the LHR-HEL-HKG a week or so ago, judging from the business lounge (J is not open late evening) they have already started! Apart from lots of space the food on offer was appalling and you cannot help yourself to drinks apart from coffee or water. I saw one passenger being “strongly told” not to pour wine himself

cwoodward
    Participant

It is of course a Government owned airline enjoying a protected virtual monopoly at home thus perhaps not a total master of its own destiny.
    It was solvent as of early Feb with $1.7 Billion of cash against $1.33 billion of debt.

They were hit by not being able to overfly Russia of course and that would hurt financially.

Perhaps importantly they appear at a glance to have for some years been loss making operationally -this from what I was able to gather while having a coffee break
    Perhaps this is being addressed hence the austerity.

Are the days of government owned airlines out of step and slowly coming to an end in developed economies ?

TominScotland
    Participant

This announcement from Finnair feels ‘clunky’ and somewhat random in its focus – no pillows in Economy and just 2 routes with no second meal on two long-haul flights of about 8.5 hours duration (not that short by many airlines standards). Bring granola bars instead, indeed! I think the ‘problem’ with this announcement is that Finnair are being honest in a very matter-of-fact Finnish way. Other airlines would have promoted this as a service enhancement!!

3 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hope it’s not to become a trend on long-haul flights with other traditional airlines.

I say that because on overnight eastbound transatlantic flights to the UK the Y class breakfast service has been gradually reduced over the years with conventional airlines… although it remains free of charge.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls