Finnair and the EU261 dodge.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Hey, good news. Well done.
    The moral of the story….avoid Finnair!

mkcol74
    Participant

Wonderful news @rferguson 🙂

capetonianm
    Participant

It pays to be persistent. I won my case with LH, also settled out of court. A pity as I was looking forward to the court case.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

rferguson, would you be kind enough to share the name of the law firm (and preferably a contact person as well) since I want to follow up on my own Finnair claim

Many thanks!!

Ian

mkcol74
    Participant

@FDOS_UK I know you & others have previously recommended Bott & Co for checking and making EU261 claims. I’ve just used their site to check for a potential claim & been told “Unfortunately we don’t have jurisdiction for handling the claim on your behalf” which rather surprised me as the flight was from Edinburgh to Oslo on Norwegian.
    I would normally contact the airline directly to make such a claim but this is my mum’s trip & I’m trying to empower her!
    Any thoughts on what to do next?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=855230] @FDOS_UK I know you & others have previously recommended Bott & Co for checking and making EU261 claims. I’ve just used their site to check for a potential claim & been told “Unfortunately we don’t have jurisdiction for handling the claim on your behalf” which rather surprised me as the flight was from Edinburgh to Oslo on Norwegian.
    I would normally contact the airline directly to make such a claim but this is my mum’s trip & I’m trying to empower her!
    Any thoughts on what to do next?[/quote]

If I were you, I’d call Bott & Co and ask why they don’t have jurisdiction. Then consider what you need to do.

mkcol74
    Participant

As it happens they had later on emailed me, so I replied asking the Q. Am awaiting the response.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Good luck!

rferguson
    Participant

ianfromHKG so sorry I missed your message.

I used Bott&Co on FDOS’ recommendation.

I had planned on pursuing it myself but the CAA decision to side with Finnair knocked my confidence in winning hence I went with Bott&Co. Which cases they’ll take to court very much depend on the circumstances. A friend also registered their EU261 claim with them on my recommendation but after the letter sending stage Bott&Co replied to him that they wouldn’t take it to court. So they seem to know what they are doing.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=855230] @FDOS_UK I know you & others have previously recommended Bott & Co for checking and making EU261 claims. I’ve just used their site to check for a potential claim & been told “Unfortunately we don’t have jurisdiction for handling the claim on your behalf” which rather surprised me as the flight was from Edinburgh to Oslo on Norwegian.
    Any thoughts on what to do next?[/quote]

So I heard back from Bott & Co today: they do not have jurisdiction as they are an English firm & the flight was departing Scotland.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=855677]

@FDOS_UK I know you & others have previously recommended Bott & Co for checking and making EU261 claims. I’ve just used their site to check for a potential claim & been told “Unfortunately we don’t have jurisdiction for handling the claim on your behalf” which rather surprised me as the flight was from Edinburgh to Oslo on Norwegian.
    Any thoughts on what to do next?

So I heard back from Bott & Co today: they do not have jurisdiction as they are an English firm & the flight was departing Scotland.[/quote]

That surprises me, to be honest. I thought Bott and Co could act against any airline with a UK personality, e.g. an address to serve papers.

mkcol74
    Participant

@FDOS_UK You & me both. I was so flummoxed I couldn’t figure it out further.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=855686] @FDOS_UK You & me both. I was so flummoxed I couldn’t figure it out further.[/quote]

Apparently English lawyers cannot practise in Scotland (and vice versa), so presumably Bott & Co could not take the necessary action in the Scottish Courts.

mkcol74
    Participant

@FDOS_UK Ah now that I did know, partly as I’m an ex-pat Scot in England & partly being part of a group action against an English timeshare company who have retained English & Scottish solicitors . Having my address for the timeshare company’s purpose in Scotland has lead to the group action’s English solicitors not being able to represent me in the Sheriff Court. 2 different legal systems

What confuses me with the Norwegian/EU261 scenario is that I would have expected Bott & Co could have pursued Norwegian through the English courts (if required) as the flight was Norwegian Air International using the Irish AOC. Anyhoo they say they can’t, so they can’t!

Apologies to others here for the thread drift.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=852779]Well done, good for you in standing up to the corporation.[/quote]

Agreed. And I like Finnair.

Had much the same experience with Monarch, a few years ago (it’s detailed on the forum here somewhere).

In that case I got irate simply because they repeatedly lied. Right up to the last minute when they tried to say I wasn’t travelling on that flight anyway! Of course, I’d kept the boarding pass stub…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls