Fill your Christmas stockings at the airport – ideas

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• Anonymous

trippleF
    Participant

I wonder what people around the world are finding at the airport to fill Christmas stockings. Can you share any ideas? what do you discover?
    MartynSinclair suggested Personalised Nutella in another post, @MartynSinclair, what airport was that at please?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@tipple – Selfridges (food hall, Ground floor) on Oxford Street 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice post Tripple but personally I don’t buy at airports mainly because I don’t want to carry it around but also there’s better value in my local shops, on top of which I can get the VAT back.

Tim2soza
    Participant

Wouldn’t buy anything at overpriced airports, ever. Amazon all the way.

conshaldow
    Participant

I agree with Tim, although there can be the odd one off saving can be found especially on alcohol (higher end usually).

Personally over the last 3-4 years almost every single item purchased has been online (Amazon or other) and very rarely have to deal with the high street shops which are horrible this time of year. The future is here kids!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Well, having just hauled three fully packed cardboard boxes back from FCO containing vini d’Umbria, vin santo, salumi e grapa di Norcia, fungi, biscotti, torrone, panforte, panatone, ciocoletti and (Lungarotti) the best balsamic vinegar in the world, what need is there of the airport? Oh yes, to replace an expensive bottle of Burberry perfume that I dropped on the floor. Ouch!

As we brought back two cases of wine in our checked-in bag (it’s amazing what you can manage if you properly wrap and pack – and you’ve a seriously large travel bag), we’ve comprehensively covered the family for the festive season. Now I really do not want to encourage too many of you to flock to Umbria instead of Chiantishire – even if the former is a gourmet paradise….

Charles-P
    Participant

Departing Ankara Turkey this week I had an idle stroll around the duty free shop ( I never usually bother) and discovered they have an excellent walk in humidor with a fine selection of cigars, I was able to pick up some for self and father in law (his Christmas present).

JordanD
    Participant

My grandfather is a rum drinker and so he has (over the years) now obtained a fine collection of ‘local’ rums purchased from various duty frees across the world, by way of gifts from myself.

You’d be surprised how many offer a local product in addition to the standard Bacardi or Captain Morgan product … and often at a very good price.

esselle
    Participant

I regularly buy the giant Toblerone bars which you only ever find in an airport, and which in the UK are normally three for the price of two. Can’t remember the last time I ever bought anything else.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Hoping for a bag of Haribo aeroplanes. Only seem to be available in selected German airports.

trippleF
    Participant

awesome ideas; I’ll be busy shopping 🙂

icenspice
    Participant

Talking of which, on an AA flight the other day….along with the usual mishmash of cardigans, trousers and miniskirts, I spotted a CC member sporting a pair of knee-high stockings. It was one of those occasions when you ask yourself ‘Do I need to change my glasses’ or ‘Would you see this on BA?’.

Airport Christmas shopping ONLY if you are on the last flight home on Christmas Eve and you haven’t done a thing. In my case, always!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ icenspice – 20/11/2015 18:12 GMT

Funny you should say that. Arriving at FCO last Saturday and a DL flight crew ambled past. Some of them looked as if they would be better dressed in sack cloth and ashes. Now I realise that it’s no longer legal to practice age-discrimination WRT cabin crews but that’s no excuse for dressing so appallingly badly in your uniform that you resemble a bag lady.

I have never witnessed such a state of affairs on BA, never mind LH, CX, LX etc.

trippleF
    Participant

@icenspice – will you let us know what you are buying this year….

What about the arrivals shopping area, I admit I tend to walk straight past it, but am I missing anything?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls