Female Friendly Hotels

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

maiden-voyage.com
    Participant

Hyatt are doing it because they believe it makes business sense

http://experience.blog.hyatt.com/2013/03/04/female-business-travelers/

And hotels in India are doing it because it instils confidence around darker safety aspects, see the latest report from CNN

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2013/05/23/qmb-india-women-hotel.cnn

What is your opinion on hotels going the extra mile to recognise the needs of female business travllers (which incidentally, according to a recent report from Small Luxury Hotels, have risen by 53% in the last year)

CXDiamond
    Participant

IME almost all hotels do go the extra mile. Female only floors are perhaps more common than people realise. Cosmetics are usually available on request and I think anyway rooms are better designed these days – after all, many men want hair dryers too!

I don’t request rooms on women only floors but I usually find I’ve been given one.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think hotels could be far more accommodating by offering different floors to meet different requirements of all travellers, not just female travellers:

**Green/environmentally friendly floors to cater for those who care about wastage

**Quiet floors where doors are cushioned so as not to slam and for travellers who have a need to sleep without hearing PEOPLE running up and down corridors all hours of the day

**Family floors – with a family style lounge kitted out for excitable kids/parents – fitted with computer games

I agree with women only floors for obvious reasons, but there are other groups also that may benefit from similar facilities.

maiden-voyage.com
    Participant

Geat ideas Martyn, I like them a lot.

We inspected Hotel Indigo in Liverpool this week

http://www.hotelindigoliverpool.co.uk/

They have diffferent colour themes on different floors, so literally if you are in an ‘orange’ mood when you check in you can go on the orange floor, novel touched everwhere, for example the interiors of the wardrobes are colour themed tool.,

Very funky and fresh.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I have never been aware that I have been given a room on a female only floor in a hotel. I am unsure as to why I would need to be. I arrange all my hotels myself so I can be sure that I am in a hotel that is of a reasonable standard and in a location that is suitable. I really do not see that a female only floor would provide me with MORE safety ! How are they keeping men from accessing the floor ? Are women less dangerous ? I do accept that travelling alone in some countries, women attract more attention but we need to way up the pros and cons for everything we do.
    I very rarely eat in my room as the article suggests women do, to avoid eating alone. I feel perfectly at ease in a restaurant or a hotel bar on my own with my kindle for company, I sometimes even meet some interesting people to chat to.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Does this mean all females in the hotel will be friendly to me? 😉

Seriously, probably hard for a man to answer this one, though could be useful for Mrs. LP. However she tells me she would not particularly want this as she’s more than capable of looking after herself. In fact she petrifies me!!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Does this mean all females in the hotel will be friendly to me? 😉

Seriously, probably hard for a man to answer this one, though could be useful for Mrs. LP. However she tells me she would not particularly want this as she’s more than capable of looking after herself. In fact she petrifies me!!!

Papillion53
    Participant

From my experience in hotels, “women only floors” were a non-starter. If you had no female guests, would you then use these rooms for other, male, guests? Most women travelling alone, do not wish to be identified as such.

I don’t know what cosmetics you would mean CXD – good morning! – if you mean the standard stuff such as cotton wool balls, cotton buds etc., then my boy needs them as much as I do! 😉 And if they are not provided, the call usually goes up from the bathroom to me of “do you have any ear mops etc.”.

I think hotel bathroom products are getting nicer and nicer these days – we had gorgeous bathroom products in the Fairmont hotels recently in Canada and the US. I still bring my own hair products, unless we are going somewhere that I know what’s on offer e.g. Gleneagles with Asprey products.

On most occasions in staying in hotels, I never see my neighbours, I occasionally may hear them, but never actually see them! So how would you know who was in residence next door?

Some of the things we did do, and I am sure most hotels would do this:

Always put a single female traveller on a higher floor, never in a ground floor room.

Never, ever announce a room number, as in the receptionist announcing “Mrs P you are in room 809”. I have, when this has happened, refused that room, told the receptionist why, and been given another room – silently. I think this should apply to all check ins btw!

If you had a big group of males in the hotel, then room allocation would be carefully done so as not to put a lone female in amongst that group.

I did sometimes put extra little things in female guests rooms, especially for regular female guests – Maybe a magazine or two, some yummy chocolate, that sort of thing – and I know our housekeeping staff would always put extra standard toiletries in with other stuff that the housekeeper kept in a locked drawer for such occasions!

Mind you, some of my regular boy guests, got special treats too! NO! not that sort of treat! LOL!

I’m with HKLady – good morning to you! 🙂 I have no problem whatsoever dining on my own, and as for unwelcome attention Mr LP – Good morning! I find one of those well-used “looks” does the trick – just ask Mrs LP, if you dare and she will show you exactly what I mean! LOL! And with added security such as key card activated access to bedroom floors in lifts, hotels are much more on the ball than they used to be, but not all of course have this facility, so room for improvement.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls