Fellow Oldies – Any Fascinating Travel Stories from Aviation's Golden Age

Back to Forum
Viewing 61 post (of 61 total)

• alainboy56
    Participant

Oh my! What some memories we all have.

Off the top of my head:
    A) Small ones of flying in a DH Comet 4 LHR/Tokyo – The Comet went U/S on the return at SIN, so transferred onto a Qantas Lockheed Constellation back to LHR
    B) B707-436’s in 1st Class to Barbados via Bermuda
    C) B747-136’s in 1st Class (with upstairs bar) to Miami and also Detroit. B747-236’s to NBO/JNB/Barbados/St Lucia. B747-300 of SAA in Business JNB to LHR
    D) Vickers VC-10’s to Barbados – The Golden Age of BOAC
    E) BAC 1-11’s to Jersey – what pocket rockets they were! With steps up the back.
    F) HP Heralds and Vickers Viscounts, later Fokker F-27’s and even later Bae-146’s of BAF/Air UK from Southampton to Jersey and Guernsey (also reminds me of when as a child, seeing the Bristol Freighters loaded with cars there at Eastleigh Airport in the sixties).
    G) Gulf Air Lockheed 1011 Tristars to/from/around the Gulf – the height of luxury travel before EK started in 1985.
    H) B747-100/B747SP Pan Am… Dubai-Frankfurt/Frankfurt-LHR – A round the world flight that existed then in 80’s Flight No’s PA001/002
    I) AZ/BMI/Aviaco/Iberia/SAS/AY etc etc Douglas DC-9’s all over Europe and with New York Air in USA — also with steps at the back
    J) A Convair 580 (I think) from JNB to Livingstone – sat up front with the monkeys jn the nose cone for most of flight – including the landing.
    J) Ilyushin il-76s freighters to Pakistan and Kazakhstan on middle east Government authorised flights – Ukrainian loadmasters smoking with doors open, and engines starting, and also on the take-off roll – safety features of these aircraft? In the cockpit where I travelled many times, the Capt in the LH seat was using a laptop for navigation — what a really basic piece of kit it is, and it takes about 5 of them to fly this lump of metal (2 x pilots, 1 Navigator, 1 radio operator and a Loadmaster).

Just some of my aviation memories that spring to mind.

Viewing 61 post (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls