Fed up with Swiss’ new seating policy

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

Unlike BA, Swiss does not allow seat selection on ticketing in Y in Europe and hence in the past, I’d make sure I checked in online as soon as check in opened (24 hours out). This usually meant that I could get a decent seat [exit row or aisle near front]

Someone there decided it would be a great idea to automatically check in all Pax in and send them their boarding card 24 hours out. [this is an option during booking and the default is for this to happen]

Result : the last 2 times I did this, the plane is 99% full and there are no seats to choose from. I am on a 2h flight tomorrow and really wanted to get a seat of my choice… but no go!

christopheL
    Participant

I agree with you. AF has had the same policy for a couple of years. Definitively not a nice policy for frequent travellers.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi SwissExPat, hope you’re keeping well? Last time (July) I booked I had the option of choosing my seat during the booking process. Maybe this has changed now?

However, if you’re Silver or higher, just ring the call centre and they’ll soon sort you some nice seats.

stevescoots
    Participant

I flew Swiss in business a few weeks ago LCY to HKG, I had no problem choosing my seats online and I just joined M&M so no status either

SwissExPat
    Participant

Hi LP

Yes, all okay here….. May c u in Lugano soon!

LX does allow any J seats to be pre selected and Y long haul.

I’ll try to call the centre although I’m only Silver.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

I thought the nice single seats in J were prebookable for Senators only?

SwissExPat
    Participant

@Arsenal Fan…. You are correct! senator only indeed!

r ryan
    Participant

I just experienced this blocking out of seats with Swiss last week. Had a flight Zurich to Singapore booked three months in advance, and the bulk of the cabin was blocked off: the left side pairs, the right side singles, and rows 4 & 5 (the two rows on their own behind First). Could only get a pair in centre back.

Am silver M&M. Periodically checked with Swiss tix counter in the airport when passing thru, no go.

When checking in, was told 4 and 5 blocked off still, could not / would not say if booked; and that right side singles all blocked.

Got on board to discover row 4, and right side singles empty. These are the most desirable seats in the house in my view…and LX hold them back, and when no one takes them STILL don’t release them. As it is we asked the crew if we could move to 4, did so, no problem.

BTW when I was Senator status, still could never access row 4 or 5.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The cabin behind F is reserved for Senators and only released at the last moment or if flight full. I’ve always been given (till now) 4A.

When booking though, I use the website to check prices and conditions first and then ring the call centre. They sort me out quickly and efficiently, have my info to hand and give me the best fares. I can then choose my seats at the same time.

SwissExPat. I’ll call you when I get back.

TominScotland
    Participant

LP

A bit of advice please? I am due in Lugano for a brief meeting in November. Short of my own aircraft, what would you recommend as the most time efficient route to take from Scotland? Zurich + train?

Thanks, Tom

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls