Favourite ever flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• Anonymous

MrMichael
    Participant

Thought it might be interesting to hear about peoples favourite or most memorable flight. Those reading BT most likely suffer from flights becoming a haze as we seem to spend so long at airports and in the air. I will kick off with my favourite ever flight.

It was late 1980’s a lovely sunny day and I was getting the midday flight from Copenhagen to Oslo Fornebu with SAS. It was a route I travelled almost weekly, but this particular flight was memorable for me being only one of only two pax on board, one in economy and myself in business.

As I recall the flight was on time ( certainly not delayed due to boarding problems!) and I settled in for the one hour flight in about row 3 I think. The views on the flight over Northern Jutland were fabulous and the views from the left hand side of the old DC-9 over the Oslo fjord were even more so. I settled down nicely with a nice cold Tuborg beer and an even colder Aalborg Aquavit. Lunch was a Danish open sandwich with prawn, salmon and quails egg (I had 2) . It was followed by a very nice Danish blue and a couple of crackers. Being the only business pax and with 2 crew looking after me I was just a little sad as we started the descent in to Fornebu. A memorable flight having never been on a sizeable aircraft with so few people on board (did a Bangkok-Brisbane leg once on Thai with only around a dozen on board) and the simple but delicious lunch and the fabulous views. Perfect.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Toronto to Vancouver on a Canadian Airlines B737 in 1987. I was using an airpass which cost £99 I think for standby travel for a week. The flight took 8 hours and stopped at 4 places on the way; Thunder Bay, Brandon, Calgary, Kelowna. Each stop showed a different side to Canada with Pine Forests, Prairies, Foot of Rockies and Rockies themselves. Never forgotten this flight.

Actually my inbound flight from Newcastle to Toronto on a Wardair B747 was also memorable as well since it was my first transatlantic flight.

And to complete the list, my only flight on a Viscount from Heathrow to Teeside in 1987 as well just before they were retired from service.

Hermes1964
    Participant

It happened when least expected. Summer 1986 USAir DC9 from Newark to Toronto with intermediate stop at Rochester. First leg was uneventful. After no more than 30 minutes on stand in Rochester we taxied to the runway. The pilot then announced a delay due to severe storms en route to Toronto. After a while we set off and ten minutes later while still in thick cloud the whole cabin went very dark as the cloud thickened further. I remember a nervous hush descending as we bounced around for a while. Then suddenly we broke cloud to find ourselves banking spectacularly very low down directly over Niagara Falls. It was a ride that would have cost a few hundred dollars in a helicopter and I got it thrown in with my 40 USD single ticket!

Travellerlucid
    Participant

Flew Concorde with BA on the 14th of April 2000 from London to New York with my sister. The happiness as a young man to see the curvature of earth…Memorable.

canucklad
    Participant

Memorably good…..
    Jan1st 1977: SYD-NAN-HNL-YVR . Boarded our sleek orange stretch 8 on warm Sydney morning,and as always when boarding a CP flight you felt as if you were already home. Having enjoyed the New Year’s festivities the night before my parents quietly relaxed into seats surrounded by balloons and paper bunting that the CC had festooned around the cabin.

An uneventful flight to Fiji, then an hour into the flight to Honolulu the captain announces we’re about to cross the IDL back into 1976! Time for a good old fashioned Scottish hogmanay party. Hangover now subsided my dad takes his turn leading the sing song from the galley mike ,naturally it had to be Auld Lang Syne ….The party runs out of puff in perfect harmony with our time travelling jet as she also runs out of puff and so we descend into a balmy Honolulu for more fuel. Our Hawaiin contingent,including new crew couldn’t have imagined being party poopers,having said that,the reality of leaving behind South Pacific heat for the delights of a Pacific Northwest winter ,,maybe sleep was the order of the day.

As some of you know ,my Dad was a member of the CP family. On returning to work he was quizzed by colleagues about the state of the plane when it got back to YVR .

I don’t know about favourite but I have several memorable flights, and they have all been in Economy.

BA 777-300 from LHR to Narita at the beginning of a RTW trip.
    First transatlantic from Madrid to Rio on a DC-10.
    First transpacific from Tokyo to LA.
    First time on a 747 from AMS to Karachi.
    And first flight abroad from Belfast to Faro when I was 16 😉

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Bahamasair HS(BAE) 748 from Governor’s Harbour to Nassau in 1991. Ancient plane, no cabin service, but a great group of 50 mates after a weekend away. We effectively chartered the plane ourselves.

norbert2008
    Participant

First upgrade on AA LHR to JFK in 1980’s the leather and sheepskin seats, warm nuts, etc….lovely treat and a little blagging on the return from Boston 3 weeks later.

norbert2008
    Participant

Oh forgot Rome – LHR, Tri star, upgrade at 20 due to brother being cabin crew retired…..up and down in the lifts and ended up in jump seat for landing at LHR what a site to behold, will never forget.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

That’s a difficult question, as I have many candidates to choose from. My most memorable flight was the very first commercial flight of the A380, operated by Singapore Airlines from Singapore to Sydney.

There were too many features of that inaugural flight to list all of them here, but a few were:

The bemused look the Singapore Airlines CEO’s face as many passengers asked him to autograph their boarding cards.

Seeing famous faces from worldwide media companies on board and watching them film events during the flight.

Having three helicopters film the arrival of the aircraft into Sydney.

Chardie
    Participant

@Norbert2008

“warm nuts, etc…”

I’m not surprised with sheepskin seats….

GreenScot
    Participant

I was about 8 or 9 in the mid 80s and an ex-pat brat and I was flying with my family back from Bahrain for Christmas in the UK. We were flying on a British Airways 747 in Club Class (not Club World in those days) and it stopped over in Rome. During the stopover at Rome, London bound passengers remained on the aircraft. My family and I were at the front of the cabin on the starboard side beside an door open with stairs at it. My siblings and I were all very excited as we had never ever seen snow before and were peering as hard as we could from our seats . The steward who was in the galley beside us overhearing our chatter allowed us to go down the stairs and play in the snow around the airplane for a few minutes and I even pelted my father in the face with a snowball who supervised; a timely memory considering today is Fathers Day. It was certainly was my most memorable flight and an experience for a child I don’t believe could ever happen today at an airport.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Without a doubt it has to be my return flight with Concorde in the 80’s. Despite the “cramped” by today’s standards, seating, there has never been anything to come close, not even BA or LH First.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls