“Fat Tax” on Flying

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Edski777
    Participant

The best part is where Chris Yates uses the term “somewhat larger people”. Being politically correct or afraid to address the real problem? Yes, people are becoming obese, especially in the Western world.

The real question is: should people of average size be accommodating the obese or do we pay per pound? As every extra pound that has to be lifted costs extra fuel a pay as you go by weight method is fair. And as people of size (as our American cousins eufimistically describe them) take up more space this policy combined with a pay for comfort (read: seat width and seat pitch) method, where not only the comfort of the traveller, but also the comfort of fellow passengers is taken into account, is not only logical, but fair as well.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

If we follow this argument, then surely all baggage, stowed or hand, should be charged on a per kilo basis. Then what about wine? I never drink alcohol on board, others do, so I’m paying for them and each bottle weighs about 1.5 kgs so that’s a lot of weight on a 747.

But then isn’t this what some carriers already do, Ryanair springs to mind here!

Edski777
    Participant

LP, US airlines on transatlantic and domestic flights already charge for alcohol. When charging on a weight basis I presume everything will be included, person, hold luggage and handluggage.

Low cost airlines already charge for food. IFE in the US has to be paid for.

What else could we think of? The new slogan: Flying is cheap, it’s all the extras you might purchase…..

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls